"Can we talk about climate change now?"....

SteveA

"Can we talk about climate change now?" reads the banner from the recently flooded Oxford residents.

Climate change is making the world sick - News - The Ecologist

Why hasn't such a critical subject been properly discussed at Parliament, or run as a continuous headline by the newspapers, etc?

It's a good question to begin with....

"Can we talk about climate change now?"....

Cheers, steve

Can we talk about the root cause of climate change = excess population with affluent lifestyles.

Who prefer to live in rich river vally bottoms= flood plains.

And imagine they can control nature.

On tother hand the world managed to regularly change its climate , before humankind even existed.

Ice ages and inter-glacial periods.

An all that.

Anyway, perhaps poor old Home Sapiens has mistakenly taken this last few hundreds of years of benign settled weather for the "norm",

when actually it aint "normal".

**** happens.

Reference the advanced Civilizations in South America wiped out my "climate change".

But not of the anthromopheric kind.

the population has more than tripled in the last 150 years or so simply because we've made break through's in medical science. this has coincided with innovations of the human side of things and manipulation of our natural environment. do people think that there will be no consequences...

also for the billions of years that "weather" has been around, you can not compare our few hundred years of records to the historical one. as far as the earth is concerned the last few hundred years have been relatively clement and things are probably just getting back to normal.

difflock's right, the earth has changed the climate around many times before, why should it stop for us.

i don't think Darwin was 100% right with survival of the fittest. it should also be survival of the least foolish. you live on a flood plain you run the risk.

by the way i live in the Thames valley...

Can we talk about the root cause of climate change = excess population with affluent lifestyles.

Who prefer to live in rich river vally bottoms= flood plains.

And imagine they can control nature.

On tother hand the world managed to regularly change its climate , before humankind even existed.

Ice ages and inter-glacial periods.

An all that.

Anyway, perhaps poor old Home Sapiens has mistakenly taken this last few hundreds of years of benign settled weather for the "norm",

when actually it aint "normal".

**** happens.

Reference the advanced Civilizations in South America wiped out my "climate change".

But not of the anthromopheric kind.

What he said!:thumbup1:

When I was looking to buy my first house we viewed several from a vague description from the estate agents. On arriving at the properties I found that they were on or very close to fields which flooded regularly when I was a lad. When I questioned it I was told that drainage had been allowed for.

That's all well and good but what happens when the place that the drain goes to is full? It's quite clear to see - it's in the living room of the house that I looked at!

What with an ever increasing lack of maintenance from councils etc, brought on by government cuts, there's no way I would ever buy a house anywhere near a low lying piece of land like this. It's plain daft! I do feel for folk who are suffering in areas that don't usually flood, but if you've bought a new build on a flood plain then duh... Didn't you see it coming?

I think that councils planning departments should be held responsible for giving the go ahead in the first place. If I with my childhood memories (I'm only 32) know that there is going to be an issue, why don't they? I suppose they do, but money talks. Now they should be made to compensate for their stupid decisions. These houses should never have been built.

I thought tv news from thames valley was interesting

The people there were complaining council hadn't delivered sand bags .......

Why the hell haven't they gone and bought some ....its an emergency stop fannying about .....mastic your doors shut, yes that means go and buy some mastic .....and yes that means NOW .....

It's amazing how some folk even get by day to day isn't it. Some of these things have simple solutions yet people just sit there and moan. It's baffling! I think we are so used to having everything done for us that we can no longer think. If water was seeping into my house I'd dig a bloody hole in the floor and stick a pump in it - it's serious damage but would keep the water at a manageable level and reduce the drying out process massively.

I know that in some cases the water is that serious that they're out of options, but for many a bit of common sense and effort could save them an awful lot of bother in the long run.