Revolutionary British-made log mill product launched

john the saw

Hi John, no worries there mate. Sounds like a great bit of kit & I look forwards to seeing it working in your videos.

.... a simple portable bandsaw or circular saw to compete with/ or go alongside an Alaskan Sawmill is what I'm interested in, but nobody seems to be making one yet - Bit of a gap in the UK market there. :thumbup1: cheers, steve

Well i wouldn't count out the Transformer because it is fairly quick and easy to break down into modules and the only heavy lump is the power module that contains the engine etc. It's not intended to be wheeled around every 5 minutes but it would certainly be ok to set up in an area and work until it's time to move on. I'm sure that some people might even mount it on a low-slung bogey or something. Returning to cost, there's nothing to stop 2 or 3 people clubbing together and buying a Transformer as a shared purchase - just an idea. Best wishes. john - Silverclaw.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks interesting...... Is there any form of dust extraction?? And is there guarding around the drive belts?

Hi stompey,

No dust extraction as the Transformer is designed to be used outdoors or in a well-ventilated barn etc Sawdust and chips fall through the under-blade guard and you can just shovel out from under the guard as and when necessary. Yes the drive belts/pulleys etc are all fully shrouded as is the blade - top and bottom. We removed some guards for the photos but we have gone far in excess of the requirements of BS-EN's (standards) with respect to shrouding to gain CE certification. We have spent a great deal of design time and thought to ensure that with all guards in place, it is simply not possible to gain access to blade, belts/pulleys and drive shafts in normal operation. We have also ensured that no guard or shroud impedes the operation in any way so there is simply no reason to operate the Transformer without all guards in place. Thanks for your post. All the best. John - Silverclaw.

My "gut" feeling is that it is tinny/flimsy and underengineered.

To withstand the rigours of log handling in even limited use.

Especially in respect of the relatively substantial purchase price.

I do however agree that a UK built casual user/non-industrial saw is a step in the right direction

Regards,

Marcus

My "gut" feeling is that it is tinny/flimsy and underengineered.

To withstand the rigours of log handling in even limited use.

Especially in respect of the relatively substantial purchase price.

I do however agree that a UK built casual user/non-industrial saw is a step in the right direction

Regards,

Marcus

Hhhmmm, tend to agree. Would also like to see pics of roller system that enables 1 man to get a log weighing up to 1/4 ton( given system can handle 9"QG @ almost 10ftlong and longer with available extensions) onto cutting deck @ waist ht.

But otherwise I could see it meeting all of the claims made in the description on the web page.

Tim

I'm not usually one to be negative, but I cannot see a useful application for it. A 12 inch diameter log is too small to be useful - it precludes the sawing of just about all hardwoods with the possible exception of Oak for mantels and posts.

The kind of people that will spend £7k on a part time sawmill are going to want to have the capacity to cut longer lengths and greater widths. A manual bandsaw would be the default choice and would be no slower.

I'm very happy to see a British engineered product on the market, but just wish it was more useful for the general sawmiller.

Ok, just looked as though you may get a build up of dust, debris etc around the blade, under the rollers etc and not easily be able to get near it to clear as it is fully enclosed.

Cheers and good luck

Hi stompy,

Good point and yes you do get a build up after a few cuts. However, it is very quick and easy to remove the debris. We supply a brush on a handle with the machine and you simply sweep the debris towards you and off from either end. The CE marking inspectorate was happy that this operation is performed with the machine running as if you make a mistake, all that will happen is that the blade will chew up the broom head a bit. Cheers. John - Silverclaw.