Revolutionary British-made log mill product launched

john the saw

I reckon there's a use for it- I just cut a load of cladding from 20" logs with a chainsaw mill, it was pretty hard work. I could have quartered the logs with the chainsaw and passed the quarters through this machine in much, much less time, and I expect it would be easy to make them quarter sawn too. £5k for pto version, you'd want a fair bit of wood to go at but doesn't sound ridiculous- cross cut pto saws make silly money.

Hi robert - thanks for your post.

Yes that's exactly the point - quick and easy processing of lumber within the limitations of the machine. I know that it won't be the things for a lot of guys on this forum and it's always tricky bringing out something new. The goodwill support means a lot to us. All the best. John - Silverclaw.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just say that reading the posts that some of you have answered a little harsh in my view given the fact that john has yet to show it in use. At that point a fairer assesment can be made of the saw.

Personally i have no experience of milling with a mizer so cannot comment on thus as such but given its marketing for small individuals who perhaps own woodland and does not need 30k of mizer this may well suit them.

I wish John good luck.

Simon

Hi simon - thanks for your post.

Many thanks for your words of support and great that you get the intention behind the principle of the machine. You're exactly right as to the kind of person and circumstance that the Transformer will be of most use to but i'm hoping that no-one will feel precluded. I'm more desperate than you guys to get the videos posted and they will be on view as soon as possible. Best wishes. John - Silverclaw.

please don't get me wrong gents, i too wish this venture all the best. i think i came across as a little thorny in my first post i meant to criticise constructively not be harsh.

i merely thought that the cut size was a bit small if it's meant to be a milling saw and did not know that there were any requirements for such guards by the authorities. i do see the use of this saw as slightly different than putting a whole loge in there though, i see it as re-sawing baulks of timber say for fencing or cladding rather than milling the entire log.

is that just me as a joiner thinking though?

please don't get me wrong gents, i too wish this venture all the best. i think i came across as a little thorny in my first post i meant to criticise constructively not be harsh.

i merely thought that the cut size was a bit small if it's meant to be a milling saw and did not know that there were any requirements for such guards by the authorities. i do see the use of this saw as slightly different than putting a whole loge in there though, i see it as re-sawing baulks of timber say for fencing or cladding rather than milling the entire log.

That's the way I see it as well.

eg; I'm needing to cut a load of cladding for our barn and could really do with something that wastes less wood in the cut & is faster than a chainsaw mill. Something easily portable to be set up in the wood, cut a bunch of planks, and be completely removed at the end of the day.

I guess you could call it the Alaskan Bandsaw Mill, or Alaskan Circular Saw Mill.... working on the same principle as the Alaskan Chainsaw Mill but without the chain!

*patent idea pending* :lol:

Hi steve,

No worries about your comment - all good. Perhaps we have confused people by calling the Transformer a mill. The CE inspectorate had trouble with the standards as it's a new machine with some new concepts. In the end, he cherry-picked what applied and said that a new standard had to be written around it. I am sure that it will serve you well whatever you use it for within it's limitations. Best regards. John - Silverclaw.

That's the way I see it as well.

eg; I'm needing to cut a load of cladding for our barn and could really do with something that wastes less wood in the cut & is faster than a chainsaw mill. Something easily portable to be set up in the wood, cut a bunch of planks, and be completely removed at the end of the day.

I guess you could call it the Alaskan Bandsaw Mill, or Alaskan Circular Saw Mill.... working on the same principle as the Alaskan Chainsaw Mill but without the chain!

*patent idea pending* :lol:

Hi steve,

Sounds like the Transformer is just what you need as it is designed to be easy to set up and take down. I think we'll continue calling it the Silverclaw Transformer Log Mill for now though. Cheers. John - Silverclaw.:biggrin:

Hi steve,

Sounds like the Transformer is just what you need as it is designed to be easy to set up and take down. I think we'll continue calling it the Silverclaw Transformer Log Mill for now though. Cheers. John - Silverclaw.:biggrin:

Not quite - I'm thinking along the lines of using the saw on the tree (exactly where it is felled) rather than taking the tree to the saw.

If that makes sense?

Working alone so nothing too bulky/heavy.

This is where the Alaskan excels..... being truly portable.

But the downside of the Alaskan is the wide kerf of the chain & thus, the speed of cut.

I will just say that reading the posts that some of you have answered a little harsh in my view given the fact that john has yet to show it in use. At that point a fairer assesment can be made of the saw.

Personally i have no experience of milling with a mizer so cannot comment on thus as such but given its marketing for small individuals who perhaps own woodland and does not need 30k of mizer this may well suit them.

I wish John good luck.

Simon

It may be seen as a little harsh by some but also some truely invaluable constructive criticism. John can and I'm sure will take some of the advice and criticisms given here and work to further develop his product. Without the brutally honest answers and comments given here he would not have such a broad spectrum of views and a better idea of his target market.

For myself as a furniture maker and joiner (aswell as Steve I'm sure) this machine seems to sit somewhere between a big old rack saw and a workshop ripsaw. I can cut 225mm on my saw with a 3 metre sliding carriage, not too different from the Silverclaws ability. But then I wouldn't use my saw for cutting logs but could get another for rough work for a couple of grand. Or pick up a new Hud son Oscar bandsaw mill for less money than a new Silverclaw.

Interested to see the extent of the portability as for me this is it's major selling point at present. Everything else can more or less already be done with existing products.......