Chain/bar throwing sparks

SteamedTomatoes

Hi all!

Hope I'm posting in the correct place here...

Right, first of all, the saw I'm using is a crappy generic B&Q saw. 30CC but it weighs more like 40CC.

Just before anyone asks me why I've got something so terrible, I didn't buy it! I found it in a skip.

Anyways, I've been using it a little for some hedge-laying I'm doing at the moment, and it's been thoroughly introduced to soil and a rock. Yesterday I was using it and noticed it was throwing sparks. Since it cost me nothing and the chain was already blunt and in very bad shape, I passed this off as another stone. It turned out it had actually stopped supplying any oil to the bar. I've sorted this, and today I stuck a new chain (conveniently also found in the skip, and this time without anti-kickback links) on it. I cut a couple of thin logs with it and it's still throwing sparks.

Is this because the bar has lost it's temper? I've taken what little burr there was off the edge of the bar. Should I try cleaning the bar? I think the bar may also be a tiny bit splayed, could that be causing it? If so, is it an easy thing to sort at home or would I be better doing that at college?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. :001_smile:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::bash::bash::bash:

Yes clean the bar, yes clean up the chain, yes check the chain runs in the bar grooves properly. Yes also check the drive sprocket is all good.

Chances are the bar has been pinched and is pinching the chain, also check the nose sprocket is rotating freely.

If you have any major doubts get someone to check it over.

A chain will throw sparks but they we only noticeable at night.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::bash::bash::bash:

Yes clean the bar, yes clean up the chain, yes check the chain runs in the bar grooves properly. Yes also check the drive sprocket is all good.

Chances are the bar has been pinched and is pinching the chain, also check the nose sprocket is rotating freely.

If you have any major doubts get someone to check it over.

A chain will throw sparks but they we only noticeable at night.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do what you suggested and see how it goes. If it still sparks, I'll get someone at college to take a look at it.

Put it on ebay and put the money towards a "proper" saw

and some loon will buy it :biggrin:

I take it you are sharpening it between rocks? not just hammering on with a blunt chain otherwise sparks will be the least of your troubles, get yourself on a cs 30 course it will give you a good grounding in understanding whats goes wrong, why and how to fix it :thumbup1:

p.s your pic is scary :lol:

buy yourself a ms170 use one for hedgelaying best investment. got a pico chain so it cuts thin makes cracking pleaches just finish with axe.

forest nad arb had good deals on them. also use it in woods coppicing.

no 1 saw now for most of my work the others there if anything big comes my way

see you lay hedges do not forget the hedgelaying sub forum