Bigger chainsaw

case mx270

I think a lot depends on the longer term need.

If you have an ongoing regular need for a big saw then buying something reasonably modern would be the best bet. It depends on how big you need and how often, but an 066 or MS660 would fit with the 30" bar, or if there are bigger things to deal with an 880/088/084. If 25" as a bar length was the very top end of what you need on an occasional basis I would look at the 046/460, as a good option. For a one-off, where everything else is more like 18-20" I would go for an 044/440.

If you don't need to use the saw on more than an occasional basis, I would look at the 051, 075/076 or the 064. The 064 comes with a chainbrake, the others either have them, or can have one retrofitted. Which to go for would depend on what turns up at the right price - in my view there have been a lot of overpriced 051s recently so the 075 can be better value for money. The 051, 075 and 076 are big and heavy so you wouldn't want to use one for long but would be fine for the odd job.

I wouldn't go for an 070 or 090. They are very nice saws (and I have both) but they don't have chainbrakes so I would be concerned that if anything goes wrong you may be in a grey area if there is anything other than personal use.

Another option though if this is a true one-off would be to advertise the job on here and see if anyone local with a larger saw wants to do it. If it's simply cutting it up then it may be significantly cheaper than buying a saw for a single use.

Alec

I think a lot depends on the longer term need.

If you have an ongoing regular need for a big saw then buying something reasonably modern would be the best bet. It depends on how big you need and how often, but an 066 or MS660 would fit with the 30" bar, or if there are bigger things to deal with an 880/088/084. If 25" as a bar length was the very top end of what you need on an occasional basis I would look at the 046/460, as a good option. For a one-off, where everything else is more like 18-20" I would go for an 044/440.

If you don't need to use the saw on more than an occasional basis, I would look at the 051, 075/076 or the 064. The 064 comes with a chainbrake, the others either have them, or can have one retrofitted. Which to go for would depend on what turns up at the right price - in my view there have been a lot of overpriced 051s recently so the 075 can be better value for money. The 051, 075 and 076 are big and heavy so you wouldn't want to use one for long but would be fine for the odd job.

I wouldn't go for an 070 or 090. They are very nice saws (and I have both) but they don't have chainbrakes so I would be concerned that if anything goes wrong you may be in a grey area if there is anything other than personal use.

Another option though if this is a true one-off would be to advertise the job on here and see if anyone local with a larger saw wants to do it. If it's simply cutting it up then it may be significantly cheaper than buying a saw for a single use.

Alec

I think my mate who I go logging with and myself might club together and buy a bigger saw for such occasions as we both have up to 18" bars anyway so something bigger would come in useful sometimes its just knowing what to look for but would want something with a chain break .

I think my mate who I go logging with and myself might club together and buy a bigger saw for such occasions as we both have up to 18" bars anyway so something bigger would come in useful sometimes its just knowing what to look for but would want something with a chain break .

I should add that there are also a number of Husqvarna saws which will do what you want, I just don't know the model numbers so well, and specifically I don't know the older (ie cheaper) ones, or their parts availability. The ones I listed out are all still well catered for in spare parts.

Alec

Come on guys what model numbers are the older bigger husqvarna saws ? Thanks

372 up to 24" 390 up to 28" 395 up to 36" 3120 42" and over ..... I recon a 395 would be the best bet . You don't need to get a new one . Some of the older 2 series saws are good 288 etc . Going back further its the all metal saws like the 2100 . Not high revving but grunt monsters ....:001_smile:

Edited by Stubby