Felling License question

treebloke

Sorry, I disagree for the reasons I have just posted. Common land is just one example of where the land might be public open space.

Yes I also think it only applies to land which was open space under the 1899 act.

Many commons became openspace under the later 1925 Law of Property Act and they do need felling licences

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 1899 act is just an example of several possible exemptions. I was told before MOL is exempt and there are many woodlands in London that have this designation. They have, as mentioned, recreation at their core and are not there for the purpose of timber production/revenue.

This appears to through a little more light on the subject, it is taken from the forestry.gov.uk web site.

Before letting us know about the tree felling, you should note that some tree felling does not require a felling licence from the Forestry Commission. For example:

•Felling trees in gardens, churchyards or a public open space where the public have a legal right of access for recreation

• 9 months later...

it is an interesting problem, a local council cannot own property, only hold it in trust for the community, (law, even if they would have you believe different), so is your local authority hiding under a corporate body (council name ltd) this is how they get away with lots of scams, no one knows the company exsists, and they play on this, if the site falls under a planning scheme....no felling licence.......planning trumps forrestry, like they do everything