All the trees are blowing down.... But?

AlexB

Again, not the point! I hold cs35. The value of tickets is not the issue I'm trying to raise. Please read my opening post.

I didn't realise we were restricted to teh original questions, and I can never resist a ramble...

I don't hold CS35, and I only do windthrow for private clients who trust me completely.

In my limited experience, clients generally are oblivious to the subtleties of what tickets do what, and if they see that you have CS30/31 they reckon you are allowed to use a chainsaw and are allowed to fell trees and that's enough for them. If they seer that you have CS38 they reckon you are allowed to climb and don't think to ask for CS39. Even if they do, they don't ask for CS40 or 41.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the wider debate, if I may?

My recollection form college is that some work practices have to be done by someone competent and some have to be done by someone who has demonstrated competence. The tickets do the latter. Training (supplemented by experience) does the former.

Using a chainsaw carries mandatory demonstration of competence. Most other tree work carries mandatory competence. I hope this makes sense, it seems to explain why the guidance appears to be contradictory.

To find a a strict answer would require tracking through the Health & Safety Act then a couple or more of the Regulations particularly PUWER and Management of Health & Safety, then through teh industry best practice docs and LANTRA training requirements. For me, I consider that I have demonstrated competence in chainsaw and crosas cutting and a few other things and am competent to sever individual and multiple windthrow through training and experience and extension of usual sound apporoach to assessment of risks.

I didn't realise we were restricted to teh original questions, and I can never resist a ramble....
perhaps it's down to some one steering the debate back onto the original question, to which I'm trying to gain information. If you want to debate qualification/experience bla bla bla feel free to start another thread. Though I'm sure like most things on here it's been done to death in a very unproductive circular discussion where everyone has a valid point and is equally right and wrong.

Ok, let's make it really easy.

For those working on commercial contracts where such things are, without doubt a requirement. Even if just to make your insurance valid.

Who has been asked for wind blow qualifications by managing organisations?

Equally, who has not?

I think quals backed up with some proper in depth experience equals the real deal. In my day job I come across alot of youngsters that have fast tracked themselves with certificates most survive but some have very curly hair :biggrin: some of the practices I have seen in the last few weeks during the storms beggars belief you only get one chance with 11,000 volts.

one chance or 5. a young chap i used to work with had been caught on the 11kv a good few times... he definatly is not right in the head. not sure if this is prior to the electric shocks or a result of!!

perhaps it's down to some one steering the debate back onto the original question, to which I'm trying to gain information. If you want to debate qualification/experience bla bla bla feel free to start another thread. Though I'm sure like most things on here it's been done to death in a very unproductive circular discussion where everyone has a valid point and is equally right and wrong.

For those working on commercial contracts where such things are, without doubt a requirement. Even if just to make your insurance valid.

Equally, who has not?

If you'd just wanted to know that, maybe you should have started a poll? I was just trying to be helpful.

So to answer your new questions a. I've never been asked and b. I've never been asked.

Over and out.

Equally, who has not?

What evidence do you have for this??