Help with Petrol/Hydraulic Logsplitter

FozeFirewood

Hi,

Bought a homemade log splitter recently that has a petrol engine coupled with hydraulic pump.

When buying, the engineer (who made it) said the pump was not giving out enough pressure and to change the pump. Currently, the engine cuts out when trying to split logs.

Does anyone have experience with these things? I'm looking for someone to come and have a look at it for me - based in Burnley, Lancashire.

I'm available on 07790 904133.

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Bought a homemade log splitter recently that has a petrol engine coupled with hydraulic pump.

When buying, the engineer (who made it) said the pump was not giving out enough pressure and to change the pump. Currently, the engine cuts out when trying to split logs.

Does anyone have experience with these things? I'm looking for someone to come and have a look at it for me - based in Burnley, Lancashire.

Thanks

If the pump is stopping the engine then that means it is too big for the engine power. Either a larger engine or a smaller pump is required.

A more complicated solution if you need high speed operation is to have a dual pump. others on the forum can calculate which pump you need if you post the hp of the engine.

good luck hope you get it sorted

Rod

Edited by farmer rod
pomp !

Thanks Rod,

The splitter has a 8HP Honda GX240 Petrol engine according to the bloke who made it.

The Ram moves up and down VERY slowly, and will split a few small pieces. Anything bigger and the engine cuts out. Even when moving the ram up and down, without splitting, it feels like the engine wants to cut out.

Thanks Rod,

The splitter has a 8HP Honda GX240 Petrol engine according to the bloke who made it.

The Ram moves up and down VERY slowly, and will split a few small pieces. Anything bigger and the engine cuts out. Even when moving the ram up and down, without splitting, it feels like the engine wants to cut out.

If you have the engine on full revs and its dying with no log in the way, then I think there is some other problem, possibly the valve. Post up some pictures or a video, and try to get some numbers off the pump and post on here

If you have the engine on full revs and its dying with no log in the way, then I think there is some other problem, possibly the valve. Post up some pictures or a video, and try to get some numbers off the pump and post on here

Agree with this a bit. It's hard to say about home made stuff as you never really know what has been used pump wise.

If the pump is right and it has now power then there maybe a fault with the valves, has it even got a return valve for the oil when it goes above the pump pressure? Sounds like there is no release and the engine is stopping due to too much back pressure on the pump.

But then 8hp does sound a bit small.

Hi,

Thanks

I can do that for you

Hi,

Thanks

He doesn't sound much of an engineer. I hope you get it sorted without too much expense.

you will need to look at what gpm the pump produces then check the pipework is the correct size even rite down to the pipe fittings are not restricting flow we need pictures too please also the ram needs to be tested for seal bypass if its a s/h ram 8hp is fine but it should/would be better with a two stage pump as it will be working hard with a larger single stage pump go to flowfit on ebay theres a full list of pumps to suit your needs for a 8hp engine etc this will then give you an idea what your problem could be also try and see what psi your getting on the hp side with a cheap clock from flowfit but it does sound like hyd lockout ie one fighting the other but like i said 8 hp is fine with a matched pump/ram etc

Hi,

Thanks

it sounds like pressure may just need adjusted did it stall the engine with the old pump on it as the new pump may be mismatched is the engine ok is the engine definitely 8 hp