The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Something a little different today.

The machine is mostly used on the batteries so the Honda is seldom started. It has suffered from the ravages of stale E5 fuel which had soaked up water. The carb bowl was full of phase seperated fuel, as was the bottom of the tank.

A carb clean in the US cleaner sorted it out, and it was soon running well. The electric start was not working but the cause soon became clear.

And to cap it all the fuel tank sprung a leak after it was flushed and refilled. The rubber seal on the outlet pipe had perished while the water was in the tank, yet was able to seal against the thicker water but leaked immediately the tank was filled with petrol.

Running on Aspen from now on will allow this engine to sit for months with no problems.

P1010629.JPG.a73a73d33e499288b590791c446ae0dc.JPG

P1010630.JPG.8f6c9aab6882e6880df598166c56b6d8.JPG

P1010627.JPG.79e88ab86e0dfc2688979e59139d6f32.JPG

We get it every day on the stuff we send and the stuff we receive.

This is how the drivers turn up to us no wonder their is damage.

[ATTACH]177407[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]177408[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]177409[/ATTACH]

Tuffnells bloke that delivers to the place used to work would throw or stand stomp over anything right animal and slow as a sloth too !

So this morning I had one of those calls I hate, a complaint.

Apparently a Stiga Park ride on mower that I serviced in December came out yesterday for the first cut of the year, but according to the owner there was a problem with my work.

"the blades are not going round, or at least not properly. There is very little noise when I engage the blades, and it does not change when I go forward. The engine note does not drop when i go forward and the grass is not being cut."

So I agreed to pay a visit this evening after work, before dark, and beat myself up for the rest of the afternoon, whilst wondering what I could have done wrong. I hate making mistakes.

When I arrived he was waiting by the gate with the machine.

I quickly checked all 3 belts in the drive line, all OK.

So I drove it on to the lawn and engaged the blades. He was right, they were quiet. I moved forwards, and he was right again, no grass being cut and no change in engine noise.

So I pressed down the electic height of cut adjuster and lowered the deck from the 100mm height it was set at. Seeing the grass was only about 80mm long, I set it at around 50 mm and drove off, nicely cutting the grass, with a reassuring change in the note of the engine as the governor became effective.

Relief for me, red face for him, and genuine apologies for calling me out on a fools errand. All's well that ends well.

Something a little different today.

The machine is mostly used on the batteries so the Honda is seldom started. It has suffered from the ravages of stale E5 fuel which had soaked up water. The carb bowl was full of phase seperated fuel, as was the bottom of the tank.

A carb clean in the US cleaner sorted it out, and it was soon running well. The electric start was not working but the cause soon became clear.

And to cap it all the fuel tank sprung a leak after it was flushed and refilled. The rubber seal on the outlet pipe had perished while the water was in the tank, yet was able to seal against the thicker water but leaked immediately the tank was filled with petrol.

Running on Aspen from now on will allow this engine to sit for months with no problems.

[ATTACH]177432[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]177433[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]177434[/ATTACH]

What is the cause of the electric start prob barrie? Can't quite work out from pic? Fried? Tarry?

Edited by mikerecike

Had a customers JD GX355 in for service, wouldnt run on collection, its used for cutting around the farm estate etc. Collected along with their Kubota G2160 for service

image.jpg2_zps85zm8t4b.jpg

A couple of people had looked at the JD already which always makes you slightly nervous... firstly checked for diesel and the supply to the pump was weak, removed the fuel lines and blew them out which improved the supply slightly. Next job was to clean the tank, we have a fine filter funnel we drained it through and removed all of this.

image.jpg3_zpsransvowk.jpg

Ran like a dream afterwards! although we noticed there was a large amount of engine movement which after investigation had a loose engine mount bolt and another one snapped off in the block. Not ideal, engine out job.

image.jpg4_zpsklzvsmpt.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsaujv7lsm.jpg

Wear visable where it has been like this for some time

image.jpg6_zpsdgyaipqo.jpg