The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Hi guys

I need a new plastic deck for a Honda HRB 425C. Any recommendations??

Thanks

Need the full model number and serial number to be accurate on price, but the deck body for an HRB 425C QXE for example has a price of £118 plus vat.

Then it has to be fitted which involves swapping every part over so allow around £100 for that too. Total cost likely to be around £250, without servicing as well, which would be worth doing at the time.

Before considering this repair be sure that your transmission is good, as the gearboxes have a habit of failing and they cost around £120 too, plus fitting.

Hi I have a John Deere 279 Lx ride on mower. It starts and cuts but seems to lack on power through the drive. Am I to assume that there is something wrong with the hydrostatic drive, if so can it be fixed.

Also have a dozen mixed Honda hrx537 and hrh 536 most have issues with them. Is there anyone in the Somerset area that would be interested in looking at them to possibly make two or three good machines out of them or repair to the better ones. Based in Ilminster. Cheers Carl:001_smile:

Hi Jackel.

Before condemning the hydrostatic box make sure the belt drive to it is in good order and not worn so much that it slips.

If it does turn out to be the gearbox then sometimes an oii change may give just a little more life.

You could try Loxton's for the Honda's but I expect you already have. Phil at HAMS in Yeovil may be worth a try, or load them up and head to the seaside in East Devon.

Hi Garden kit

Can the belt be tightened or is it a case of replacing the belt and seeing if it makes a difference. Is it straight forward to do an oil change on these?

Where are you based in Devon. Not a big fan of loxtons as had a few machines back with little improvement. I feel that they need to be 'road tested' after repair to check that problems don't arrise again through use.

Hi Garden kit

Can the belt be tightened or is it a case of replacing the belt and seeing if it makes a difference. Is it straight forward to do an oil change on these?

Where are you based in Devon. Not a big fan of loxtons as had a few machines back with little improvement. I feel that they need to be 'road tested' after repair to check that problems don't arrise again through use.

Not saying it is the belt. In fact its more likely to be the transmission, but its always worth checking the belt first. It is not possible to tension the belt as its self tensioning, but it may be worn or one of the tension pulleys may have collapsed. In either case the belt will effectively be loose.

Also worth checking the splines of the input pulley to the transmission to make sure the box is being driven.

Field testing of machines after repair is a great idea but difficult for many dealers due to lack of available grass (although the one mentioned has plenty!) It is also very expensive to field test as mechanics time of around £50 an hour would be added to the bill, and mostly would be unnecessary. If a technician is competent and confident with his work a field test should not really be needed.

Garden Kit | Homepage | Garden Machinery

Sorry there have been no replies to your question Josh.

I have to admit to not being a fan of Cub Cadet, or anything else from MTD for that matter.

As an engineer I find them lacking in build finesse, and parts can be a bit pricey.

But, that said, there are plenty around, and some quite old, so they can't be all bad.

Hi garden kit,I've since heard I haven't won the contract so do not now need a new ride on.

However I do need a nice lawnmower for another contract I have.

I'm looking for 21",

Been looking at the husqvarna lc153v

Has anyone had any problems with one if owned? Have normally used Honda izys but like the look of the husky mower

Thanks

Hi garden kit,I've since heard I haven't won the contract so do not now need a new ride on.

However I do need a nice lawnmower for another contract I have.

I'm looking for 21",

Been looking at the husqvarna lc153v

Has anyone had any problems with one if owned? Have normally used Honda izys but like the look of the husky mower

Thanks

Hi josh

Sorry to hear your not getting the contract, trees are better anyhow!!

21" mower - I got a lawnflite pro mower with a rear roller it's really good, stainless steel liner etc. I saw a viking mower at the start of the year though and that looked good also. Viking is made by stihl.

Need the full model number and serial number to be accurate on price, but the deck body for an HRB 425C QXE for example has a price of £118 plus vat.

Then it has to be fitted which involves swapping every part over so allow around £100 for that too. Total cost likely to be around £250, without servicing as well, which would be worth doing at the time.

Before considering this repair be sure that your transmission is good, as the gearboxes have a habit of failing and they cost around £120 too, plus fitting.

Hi GK

Thanks for the advice etc. I hope to do the swop out of the deck myself. The model /serial number of the mower is HRB425C QDE, MZCF 8141354. It is a push mower with the rear roller. I would appreciate an accurate price.

Thanks

Thanks garden kit for your reply. I will have a look at all the possibilities you have mentioned.

Also understand your point regarding field testing and yes I always look at the area of grass they have and think why do machines not get run on it after repair. Especially after paying close to £40 an hour for a repair that does not cure the problems.

I was getting a minor amount of surging today which would go away if I held the mower still for 10 seconds or so but then come back as soon as I started to cut grass. Is it likely to be the GCV's carb? It wasn't low on fuel and the fuel was only a few days old. Just started when I got it out the van didn't get banged around since it was last used so I'm not really sure whats caused it.

Honda GCV190 engine.

I was getting a minor amount of surging today which would go away if I held the mower still for 10 seconds or so but then come back as soon as I started to cut grass. Is it likely to be the GCV's carb? It wasn't low on fuel and the fuel was only a few days old. Just started when I got it out the van didn't get banged around since it was last used so I'm not really sure whats caused it.

Honda GCV190 engine.

Surging is due to a shortage of fuel, or an excess of air.

Unless the carb has come loose it will not be the latter, but it is very common to get blocked jets in the carb causing this problem. A good carb clean should sort it out, but occasionally a new carburettor is required. Even the tiniest spec of contamination can cause this issue.

The Honda GCV engine is particularly prone to carb trouble, give me a Briggs engine any day over the Honda GC.

Interestingly, new versions of your Stiga are now fitted with the Briggs engine.