The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Sit on wiring colour protocol ?

Is there one or is

it different for each manufacturer ?

Also apparently there should be a rectifier diode on the red wire from the alternator??? Mine doesn't have one ' just a frayed end. Is it critical?Can it be bought aftermarket? What amp grade of wire to use?

This link may help, Mike.[/url]http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/support/faqs/electrical-schematic_wiring-diagrams

Solenoid not functioning. Took it apart and resoldered what looked like a weak contact between winding wire and the external energising post.Cleaned internal components and grounding bracket. Still getting extremely low voltage reading across the large copper posts when energised with 12v battery although a continuity test across the posts when energised gives a good continuity beep. It is stamped 1984 -should I throw in the towel with this one?

1408342535681.jpg.8e155108c60a67cd4ff24cffcd767974.jpg

Solenoid not functioning. Took it apart and resoldered what looked like a weak contact between winding wire and the external energising post.Cleaned internal components and grounding bracket. Still getting extremely low voltage reading across the large copper posts when energised with 12v battery although a continuity test across the posts when energised gives a good continuity beep. It is stamped 1984 -should I throw in the towel with this one?

Time for a new one methinks Mike.

Any stock solenoid will do the job. You just need to know if it is a one wire, or two wire type. (i.e, just a single supply wire from the switch, or one earthed through the safety switches as well)

Hi anyone have any thoughts on the kohler xt series engines?

Looking at a mower just wondering about the engine many thanks Richard

I service over a thousand engines a year, but seldom see a Kohler.

But the few I have come across have not impressed me, although in fairness the only real problems I have had are on the Command series. I would certainly not want to sell a machine with a kohler engine on it.

My preference of engine on pedestrian mowers would be:-

1st Honda GX series, but these are only fitted to top notch machines such as the Kaaz

2nd Kawasaki

3rd Briggs

4th Honda GC

5th GGP (chinese with quality)

6th Kohler

On ride ons and grinders etc I would rate a Briggs Vanguard over any other, followed Kawasaki, then Honda GX.

I dont rate the Kohler or the Honda GC series.

But thats just me, others may (and will) disagree.

Need some help please.I have a Yardman TA 4135 which died on me yesterday at work and when I went to re-start it, it was like one of the inhibitor switches was on (dead man switch or similar). Anything other than broken wires to look for? TIA :001_smile:

Hi,

I am sure you have checked the cutters are off, your on the seat and have the brake on etc...

From what you have said it is dead and won't crank the engine? or is it the mower deck that makes it cut out?

If that's the one with a F/R lever on the rear mudguard then check the switch behind the rear wheel in the plastic case as they can fill will grass and get jammed.

get back to me with your findings.

Good luck!!

Hi,

I am sure you have checked the cutters are off, your on the seat and have the brake on etc...

From what you have said it is dead and won't crank the engine? or is it the mower deck that makes it cut out?

If that's the one with a F/R lever on the rear mudguard then check the switch behind the rear wheel in the plastic case as they can fill will grass and get jammed.

get back to me with your findings.

Good luck!!

Hi Eddie. Thanks for replying. It cut out when I was moving it without the deck running. When I went to restart it, the switch was dead ie the starter wasn't turning the engine over. I checked the switch by the rear wheel and it makes contact when the gear selector is in reverse but no other time.I also checked the dead man switch under the seat and couldn't see any broken wires or corrosion. It was breaking the contact when the seat was pushed down. I'm assuming that they work the same way as the kill switch on a saw in that they earth the circuit. :001_smile: