The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Hi Guys. Great new thread. We run a John Deere 455 with a 48" deck. It gives a really nice cut and collects well but at end of last season we started to get a narrow line in the cut as if two of the blades weren't quite cutting all the grass where they should (I assume) overlap the cuts. Is there a specific orientation the blades should be set at. Blades are sharpened regularly and all the bearings in the deck feel OK. Any suggestions. Thanks

The blades on that deck are not 'timed', but are V belt driven, so no issues with orientation.

Make sure they are sharp, and on the right way. I had one in the other day that had left lines since its last dealer service (not me!) and the blades were upside down!. I doubt this is your problem though as you say it still cuts and collects well.

But also remember that blades also wear on the ends, thus getting shorter and losing overlap. A new set of blades is the cheapest and easiest way to prove it.

After a week of 2 strokes its now back to tackling the 11 tractor mowers that have built up this week.

First up today was this Westwood S1300M

Now, I am not a fan of the Westwood/ Countax machines.

Plus points:- 1) Its British

2) There is no 2

Minus points 1) Its British

i hate to knock a British made product but this manufacture is complacent. When these were first introduced 30 odd years ago they were good. Basic but good.

But now many other manufacturers have entered the market and constantly upgraded their kit until there is now some very good stuff around (MTD excluded). But Countax have done next to nothing.

They suffer from poor electrics, poor belt drive systems, poor linkages, poor deck hangings, poor steering components, poorly made decks which rust quickly.

They do however have a good chassis. everything else is, in my opinion rubbish.

This one was no exception. The deck hangers at the rear had not been properly welded and had broken on one side. Its not the first time I have seen this, but on this one the front hangers were at least still intact. The clutch operation on the manual transmission versions is diabolical, its difficult to pull away without the front wheels leaving the ground. This one has been slightly improved by fitting a cloth wrapped belt instead of the original 'raw edge'

But, strangely, Westwood and Countax owners love their machines and will not hear a word said against them.

They are, after all, British.

Countax bought Westwood and then ran into money troubles. They were then bought by Ariens so now are American owned. That will be why there's been no development. I expected Ariens to rebrand their American built tractors with the Countax / Westwood brand so it could be worse!

Merry Tiller.unseized the engine.now looking at carb - this is an aspera engine (tecumseh??).fuel line into carb seems to be missing a screw?pin? Anybody know what carb that is?

it's missing a bolt the carb my be a walbro parts ar difficult to get now as tecumseh went bust in 2008 there are after market carbs but they are crap and the parts will not fit the original carbs as tecumseh sued the makers for breach of copyright so they had to slightly change there copy's to get around this

bill

Did not get much done to the queue of tractors this morning due to a rather high number of saw sharpenings and new chains.

I did manage to service this one however.

This one is the JD CR125, but its from the Castel factory in Italy and is made in different colours for many different manufacturers including Mountfield and Stiga.

It does look a bit of a toy, but looks are deceptive. Under its rather un-macho body is a strong steel chassis sporting well made levers and linkages, high quality belts and bearings and proper ball joints on the steering.

It is only a 28" cut, making it suitable for small areas, but its build quality allows it to be used on much larger plots than many of its inferior rivals.

Servicing appears difficult until you realise that the body tips rewards for access.

I have sold many, and I have a lot of respect for these machines.

P1000853.jpg.0908f7ddeb55eab4491ca8e431dd3704.jpg

P1000851.jpg.6ed5547782bf2a2c9db9aa171a4b4511.jpg

Did not get much done to the queue of tractors this morning due to a rather high number of saw sharpenings and new chains.

I did manage to service this one however.

This one is the JD CR125, but its from the Castel factory in Italy and is made in different colours for many different manufacturers including Mountfield and Stiga.

It does look a bit of a toy, but looks are deceptive. Under its rather un-macho body is a strong steel chassis sporting well made levers and linkages, high quality belts and bearings and proper ball joints on the steering.

It is only a 28" cut, making it suitable for small areas, but its build quality allows it to be used on much larger plots than many of its inferior rivals.

Servicing appears difficult until you realise that the body tips rewards for access.

I have sold many, and I have a lot of respect for these machines.

[ATTACH]148167[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]148168[/ATTACH]

Like that.... some machines are so difficult to work on due to poor access.... tipping bodies are great....!!!!!