Professional Diploma

Paul Barton

A good friend of mine is keen to embark on the Prof Dip soon - maybe next year. Apparently if 5 or more people are keen to do it and have a suitable venue, Treelife will look in to running a course for them.

He is based in Swindon so is wondering if anyone in the south west/m4 corridor might be up for forming a group.

Let me know if you might be interested.

Paul

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I've been building up to this one myself... Keeley at Treelife told me that they will try and run a course in Chippenham or around. I'm nearer to Salisbury so the further south the better for me.

My participation in the course is dependant on work funding the program and giving me the time to attend... they talk a good game when it comes to staff development but the reality can be somewhat different!

Provisionally though... I'm keen!

I work at a college so could possibly provide a venue as well!

Edited by Mark T

Here is a link to the course info from RFS - includes the content etc Royal Forestry Society of England, Wales and Northern Ireland Home Page

The trainers are Tree Life training:Home Page

I think it is regarded as the premier professional qualification in the country, equivalent with a degree.

As far as I know Treelife offer it as 25 teaching sessions spaced out over 18 months - there is alot of reading and study to do in your own time.

I would like to do it myself some time but not quite yet.

Hope this helps Mike.

I was thinking about doing this myself. My choices for my next stage of learning were either the Prof Dip or a BSc, but i decided to go with the degree because it is a broader spectrum of learning and is more transferable (and, admittedly, a whole load more work :scared1:).

Good luck with it :001_smile:, let me know how you get on with the course?

They're different things really but both are scored at lvl 6 on the National Qual Framework.

The BSc is academic research based whereas the Prof Dip is a vocational "get-your-hands-dirty" qual.

Also depends on where you want to go in life - the Prof Dip is a UK qual whereas a BSc is far more global.

Also speaking as a current Prof Dipper - its worth costing it all up. You need to add up the training costs, fuel to the training centre, time off, exam registration fees, invigilator fees, fuel to the exam centre, any resit costs, publications, etc...

It is very expensive as my bank account will prove! :(

Ditto to what Tony said.. The hands on side of it however is very usefull. If you do it with tree life they go over how to write morgage reports, subsidence reports, BS5837 etc etc.. It's all knowledge that you can apply an use in a small arboricultural firm.

I don't know about the Arboriculture BSc but I know my Ecology BSc didn't equip me with skills directly to use in work.

Janey, I don't know if its less work either! They expect you to know alot! I went into it thinking I've got a degree how hard can it be. I am now honestly thinking I will be very lucky if I mange to pass it in the next 5 years..

Their species list which they use for your tree ident is Hilliers. That has over 4000 trees and shrubs in it. You are supposed to be able to ID anything in it, spell the scientific name correctly and give 6 interesting facts about it!