Advice please

case mx270

Looking to buy a saw in the future I am not a full time user so any saw I buy should last a long time.I would like something that will run at least a 18 " bar would you buy a used husky 350 353 357 359 ,a used Stihl 260 261. Which make is the easier to look after and service ? .Or would you buy a new saw from one of the main makers but from a range that's not built for professional use ? We have a Stihl 290 at work and it seems to go well so for me would a new one be a good buy I be heard guys on here say they are very plastic and hard to work on .I am not in the market yet but just need to get some ideas going . Thoughts and ideas please

What ever you choose, look in to using Aspen2 fuel. Theres lots of threads on it and can be found using the search button bud 👍

Good luck in your search.

I love my stihl ms 260 and have a ms261 and havent had any problems

Also a ms361/2 would run a 18" better.

Youd be looking at 16" bar for a 261 before you starts to notice a difference

But other may say different

And welcome

Edited by Dan Earp

Looking to buy a saw in the future I am not a full time user so any saw I buy should last a long time.I would like something that will run at least a 18 " bar would you buy a used husky 350 353 357 359 ,a used Stihl 260 261. Which make is the easier to look after and service ? .Or would you buy a new saw from one of the main makers but from a range that's not built for professional use ? We have a Stihl 290 at work and it seems to go well so for me would a new one be a good buy I be heard guys on here say they are very plastic and hard to work on .I am not in the market yet but just need to get some ideas going . Thoughts and ideas please

OK,

I see the 290 as mid way between consumer & pro saws & has a plastic case albeit good quality, but dosnt win points from pro users who prefer magnesium ones 260/1 & as Spud will say is a bugger to work on because of that.

If you want to run an 18" bar then around 60cc will do - as divide cc by 3 = roughly max bar length, if youre only going to cut small ish wood then a smaller bar would fly & still permit felling fair sized trees.

Second hand saws depend on how theyve been used & maintained & how handy you are at fixing them to be viable, so make sure you check out thoroughly before buying.

Sure a few more knowledgeable will pitch in soon,

N

Edited by NFG

Personally I would go for a husky 365 maybe a little more ££ but one hell of a saw and will last a life time if not used on regular basis. I ran one on 18inch for about 3 years and nothing I done would trouble it.

Second hand would not recommend you don't know who it's been used by and how! I know 2 second hand bought recently both duffs and weren't cheap. Be careful if that's the route you choose.