Compact tractor

Marc Lewis

OP- here's another thread to browse! The International is strong in this one....:lol: :lol:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/64070-recommend-tractor-1.html

I'm a zetor fan, but a good perusing of eBay and ag trader shows that internationals are very good value for money and don't seem to have suffered from over inflated prices like other old tractors

Might look into one myself just for the loader aspect if anything.

I am thinking and have been for some time of purchasing a second hand compact tractor that I can use to move lumps of wood around and run a log splitter off. Anybody know any good dealers or web sites? The tractor will need to have a loader or I will need to get one separately.

E.G Coles down the road from you are a good place. Its where we get our kubota serviced. :thumbup:

I think doobin gave some very sensible advice. A 'cheap' Ford 4000 around £2k will be a real dog. You'll have to spend £5k on a reasonable MF.

IH were good machines in their day. Zetor is worth looking at and the same goes for Deutz but these are rare because there weren't many imported.

Just my 2p's worth!

codlasher

In my time I've also owned a 434, 674, and 574 and got plenty of work out of all of them. Also owned a couple of Zetor Crystals, first 4 wheel drive tractor I owned was a 5745, only ever had one Leyland, a 255 and it was a right little beast, pulled a six ton silage trailer like you'd never believe.

So I've plenty of experience of other stuff,but I'd never knock any of the older Fords or Massey having used them myself but more importantly having seen the shocking amount of work that people have got out of them in the past and in some cases are still getting out of them.

They're so highly regarded (and valued) for good reason.

You don't need a compact, you need an old International or David Brown- here's why:

Every hour put on a (by definition more modern) compact tractor running a log splitter will decrease it's value. On the other hand, an old International worth £1800 at 3000hrs will be worth exactly the same at 5000hrs.

Compact tractor loaders are not much cop. An International loader will lift 500kg easily, and 750kg safely. A compact will be on it's limit at 500kg, and has nowhere near the lift height.

The hydraulic flow is much greater on an old farm tractor too, which is important for hydraulic splitter and loader work.

Ford and Massey tractors are not as functional as DB/International, and are much more money to buy due to the collector market. Best avoided.

You should be able to get an International with a power loader ('power loader' refers to hydraulic bucket tilt, rather than the old school 'pull a cord to tip' type) for around the 2k mark. Parts are generally cheaper than for compacts also.

This is the best thread on the subject: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/50754-yard-firewood-tractor.html

The idea behind a compact is that I can tow on a trailer to site to work. My logs are kept 6 miles from home, so could tow there too. My thinking was to run a splitter from the pto as I believe a tractor of that size will not run a splitter much kop from the hydraulics, please tell me otherwise as my knowledge of tractors, hydraulics, 3pl etc is minimal.

I bought a Kubota B6200 way back in 1989 and had the front loader , backhoe and lawn tyres fitted at the same time. Really has been a great bit of kit , it will dig down 3mts which is more than many mini diggers and the front loader is good for about 250kg. The hydraulics on the tractor can handle the front loader but the backhoe has a pump off the pto. The whole thing goes about 2 ton and is only 4` wide.

Bob