3.5 tonne trying to do the right thing...

GTS

Peter from Pro Tipper has written historic threads which say that, if your truck and trailer weigh more than 3.5tonnes then you need a tacho, law of 1997. That is what I have understood now to be true unless subject to exemptions. For domestic work then I doubt if you can justify any of these. I cannot therefor buy and run a purpose built landy coupled to an ifor tt85 as the weight of the landy with kit is 3tonne, plus trailer weighs empty 700kg so I am over the 3.5tonne threshold and require a tacho before I start chipping into the trailer. The MAM plated weight for this combo is 5.75tonnes (landy 3050, trailer 2700kg) . I originally thought that if I worked within MAM then I would be ok. 1997 or December 2012 rules or both may have been the point that this changed. Please someone tell me if I am wrong or right as the last 2 and a half weeks thinking time depends on a little clarity. Many thanks and please forgive the opening RANT

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crewcab transit full of chip= 3.5tonne(ahem) plus 6" road tow at 750kg= 4.25 tonne, over the 1997 law, which is 3.5tonnes threshold for vosa to say you need a tacho. Even if your within the crow fly limt etc etc. If you google vosa up pops forums with folk surprised to get a ticket and put on notice. Correct or not please tell:001_smile:

You need to stop ranting and start thinking

I don't get why you are so hung up on the tacho issue, its just a card to fill in (Or a digital one is less again)

As a tree surgeon there wont be many days where you get out of your first driving period so its not like you are going to run out of hours.

You cite a trailer of 2700kg but you can go to 3500kg with the land rover, and (insert fanfare) the land rover is 4x4 and as such qualifies as a dual purpose vehicle and is tacho exempt (insert large cheer)

Thanks treequip, not ranting not stopped thinking. I just want to start off on the right foot. I have a 2700kg trailer at the moment, that's why I mansion it. I simply don't want to loose any more time in having tacho checked, managing that process, there's simply enough already to do. I would rather cut that out if possible and get on with earning. All the best

Thanks treequip, not ranting not stopped thinking. I just want to start off on the right foot. I have a 2700kg trailer at the moment, that's why I mansion it. I simply don't want to loose any more time in having tacho checked, managing that process, there's simply enough already to do. I would rather cut that out if possible and get on with earning. All the best

Calibration takes half an hour every 2 years, you will spend more time drinking coffee than dealing with tacho issues, if "tacho time" impacts your margin that badly you need a new business model.

You cite a trailer of 2700kg but you can go to 3500kg with the land rover, and (insert fanfare) the land rover is 4x4 and as such qualifies as a dual purpose vehicle and is tacho exempt (insert large cheer)

Surely only op licence exempt?

You still need tacho if gtw exceeds 3.5 tonne

this may help or it may make things seem more complicated, para's 2 and 3 appear appropriate with the final one making interesting reading and is not nice.

EU tachograph regulation threat lifted for most landscapers

Landscape bodies BALI and the European Landscape Contractors Association (ELCA) have "breathed a collective sigh of relief" after the European Parliament decided to exempt lighter vehicles used by tradespeople from new tachograph regulations.

Companies with vehicles of up to 7.5 tonnes who work exclusively within a radius of 100km (62 miles) from their company base and who use the vehicle to transport material, equipment and machines required by the driver of the vehicle to carry out his or her work, are exempted from the requirement to install a digital tachograph, the Parliament decided this week.

The vehicle driver must not be a full-time driver to benefit from the exemption to the new rules, formerly passed yesterday, which were brought in to improve road safety and driver working conditions.

The victory came after ELCA and its members lobbied for the exemption. BALI is the UK representative body within the association and said the news will come as a huge relief for a large number of companies working in the landscape industry.

ELCA president, Emmanuel Mony, is happy about the compromise achieved: "We succeeded in convincing the members of the transport committee to make the installation of digital tachographs obligatory for lorries above 7.5 tonnes only," he said.

"Decreasing the weight limited would have had a massive financial effect on the gardening and landscaping companies concerned."

BALI technical director Neil Huck, who is also a vice president of ELCA said: "This success demonstrates the importance of BALI’s representation within ELCA. The voice of the UK landscape industry must be heard when decisions made at European level can have such a potentially damaging impact on landscaping businesses. There will be a collective sigh of relief as this news filters through."

Under the revised rules, smart tachographs will be fitted to new vehicles within three years once the European Commission has set out the technical specifications. Fifteen years after that, they will have to be fitted, or retrofitted, to all vehicles used for professional transport.

The "smart" tachographs, will be able to automatically record speed and distance, start and final location. They will also enable downloading and remote checking, via wireless data transmission to control authorities, for easier detection of misuse or manipulation. No fines or sanctions can be imposed solely on the basis of remote-control checks but the new system will help reduce roadside checks for companies and target rogue operators