Fungi Directory

simonm

As you are probably aware the Fungi Directory is "to us un educated soles" a wealth of knowledge and a good way of identifying and learning. However for me personally its ok reading the print but actually pronouncing it is a different matter i cant for the life of me say some of them out loud :blushing: so Arbtalk maybe you could put a tab on the side of the fungi and Latin name and when you press it it actually says the word out loud :001_smile: i know to some of you who has been doing this a long time this probably sounds like a dumb idea but to us who want to learn i think a lot of people would benefit from this feature.:thumbup1:

Latin names are easy. Just say it as you see it. Pronunciation won't be wrong as a Latin professor once said: 'Who knows how it's pronounced. There's no one left alive to correct us'.

This is correct as far as i've been told. Latin is a written language, anyone telling you how it is pronounce will only be expressing their opinion.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong

This is correct as far as i've been told. Latin is a written language, anyone telling you how it is pronounce will only be expressing their opinion.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong

Botanical (scientific) names are not strictly 'just' written in Latin, they are also derived from Greek.

So technically speaking, it's specifically a written language with its origins in two different languages ergo no correct way of saying it :thumbup:

Would it be possible to have a phonetic spelling bracketed after the funghi name to help with the pronunciation?

eg: Kretzchmaria deusta (krets - maria due - esta) :blushing: how I pronounce it in my head!

This is how some phrase books teach you how to pronounce words in a foreign language.

For example: In Portugese

English: What's That?

Portugese: O que e aquilo?

Phonetic: oo ke e a-kee-loo

Just a thought. Would'nt need a major overhaul of the directory would it? Just a tippety tap of a few keys on the keyboard no!? :001_smile:

I'm not really sure its that big a deal really, is it?

I started at the beginning of trying learn about the fungal kingdom (like the majority i suspect) without the phonetics.

Personally I think the correct spelling is what's really important.

more often than not only the common name is needed in dialogue or correspondence with clients/colleagues.

If it was my day job then adding to the additional info would be no biggy but I do have a day job and a life away from the fung (suprisingly, some would say :biggrin:)

We can put this in with other areas to discuss, the next time we review the directory.