Tree surgeon or not

nottsarb

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an academic qualification in arb, just my practical tickets, and I count myself a tree surgeon. I gain knowledge from reading and working with people more experienced than myself.

Perhaps if I had gone to college and achieved an HND in Arb I may call myself an Arborist.

As it stands at the moment I don't think my lack of academic qualification makes me worth less at my job.

You don't need an academic qual to call yourself an arborist!

Perhaps. I'm not arrogant enough to call myself one just yet. Still young mind :)

Fair do's, the only point I was making, in line with the start of the thread, is that there isn't any protected status attached to the terms people use to describe their arboricultural output - you can call yourself whatever you like regardless of vocational or academic qualifications. Whatever you're comfortable with...

In the past few months I've come across a couple of guys that have introduced them selfs as tree surgeons they have a nice van brand new timberwolf 150 they seem friendly enough chaps albeit there work was very shoddy but as I got talking to them it came quite clear to me they didn't have a qualification between them it got me thinking how can you be a tree surgeon without any qualifications be it cs tickets or a diploma in arb? And why is there no governing body to control such matters?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi there, sorry for late reply and others have probably done so already :blushing:

Basically it's the same as tomorrow I could set up as a builder, or roofer or landscaper and provided I could convince 'Mrs Miggins' to give me some work, away I go.

The only 'trade' industry's that have a 'governing body', in effect, is gas installers (CORGI / GAS SAFE) and electricians (NICEIC) and that's because they could potentially blow up / burned down someone's home or premises.

Hence a 'self-governing' industry is the only viable option for which we need a recognised and credible bench-mark...and I'll stop there. :biggrin:

I understand your frustrations believe me.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Oh yeah, NPTC's etc. are qualifications, albeit it little ones involving practical skills, in the same way 'academic' ones are, albeit much bigger and involving other skills. :thumbup1:

You don't need an academic qual to call yourself an arborist!

Previously someone posted on forum that they consider the difference is a 'tree surgeon' knows where to cut the branch correctly, and can do so safely, and the arborist understands why and the effects on the tree etc. (I kinda like that.)

Does that mean you need an academic qualification...no, but it might help.

Also, as an industry / profession, the more academically qualified people we have (level 2 - 6) and for the latter at the FdSc / BSc / MSc level the better recognition we will have from others.

Cheers all..:thumbup1:

Paul

`As long as you can prune it properly'

Although I count myself fortunate of doing both types of learning, it is possible to learn how to prune trees through experience but it can be a long haul this way to identify trees, pest and diseases and the like. Learning by sitting next to Nellie means you often only get as good as Nellie.

Every profession has gone down the qualification route,starting with Craftsman Guilds who promoted education and transfer of knowledge.

I have always likened the surgeon bit to be the same as the guy who operates on people;you are not allowed unless you know about viens, arteries,muscles and bones. Pity there the public don't realise this.

Arb qualifications spend time on plant physiology,pest and diseases, legal complexities. Often it is not knowing exactly but knowing where to look to be sure.

Any formal education speeds up the process and encourages people to understand why things are done and stimulates further thinking.

Before Arb qualifications, and moves to form Associations, there really wasn't an industry and tree work was of a low standard, concrete cavity filling,wound painting came and went, pollarding just about everything.

There are things we all get taught but whom remembers everything the where ever taught at school?? I have been in business 33 years now. I do not claim to be the best the cleverest or do i believe i know it all we never can learn everything. Experience is great knowledge. Building up good relationships with local authority,s, keeping abreast of latest rules regs and of course HSE. I can change a spark plug and do minor mechanical repairs but i do not call myself a Mechanic. I can also do diy but i am not a builder. A healthy respect of those who are more academically qualified is also beneficial. I have learned so much in my business career, but all the time techniques change plus diagnostic,s in tree health and care. I do have lots of certs myself but i can not identify every fungi or tree health issue either. That,s where the Expert Arborist comes into his or her own. Consultants charge for their time and advice and usually have professional indemnity insurance to cover any advice they give. Some of the larger tree companies have the Arboist at the top he prices jobs and sends out a couple of young lads who have done a one month,s course at a college, this is then a company of arborist,s?? I have seen some terrible work done by them. Anyway enough of my rambling,s. Oh and hey climb safe out there.

Fair do's, the only point I was making, in line with the start of the thread, is that there isn't any protected status attached to the terms people use to describe their arboricultural output - you can call yourself whatever you like regardless of vocational or academic qualifications. Whatever you're comfortable with...

So me being a brash dragging bitch is not too up myself then ? :biggrin: