Yards...

Acg128

Currently we have two yards . The first is just a field which we rent off an equestrian centre for £ 500 a year . We tip chip and logs and they use most of the chip and some of the logs . One of the big benefits is we can have a burn there in some old metal skips . Down side is theft happens all the time mainly logs . Second yard £ 725 a year and Im the only one that has access . Its basically a thinned out woodland . I going to move to the second yard asap and forget about the old yard .:001_smile:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dont get me started on yards....:sneaky2:

Been having some light fingered people comming up since just before xmas.

Really no where or very limited places to go.

Catch 22 do you do much to your rented yard? or not bother.

I have put barbed wire all the way round my new yard . which is a cost to me although I am intending to stay here for a number of years . I have started covering the barbed wire in old engine oil / grease and dog poo . All this to protect my logs :biggrin:

Exactly £650 plus per month !

Down south

Get running water , toilets and electric but other than what we built it was just a bit of land about the size of 30cars I suppose

I think I will retire and just rent out sections of my place, Its ultra secure with 5 land sharks prowling all night and I think it would house at least 20 of you:confused13:.

Bob

Dont get me started on yards....:sneaky2:

Been having some light fingered people comming up since just before xmas.

Really no where or very limited places to go.

Catch 22 do you do much to your rented yard? or not bother.

Buy a wireless alarm system like this:

Home Security Systems | Bullnet Systems®

Then just unscrew it and the sensors from the walls if you move. Put them up in the new place and it will carry on working. Cheapest and most effective security you can get.

No affiliation, this stuff just works.

Another thing for those of you in rented yards- think carefully when purchasing infrastructure. Just like the alarm system above.

If you need bays for chip, then bricks and mortar are expensive to buy and then worthless to anyone but you (and fixed in their location).

Instead, buy the concrete lego blocks instead- not only can they move with you, but if you manage to buy secondhand they wil never loose any more value.

If you need a shed, then buy a container instead. Same principles apply. £250 for a lorry to move it rather than a weeks worth of labour dismantling and moving, then putting everything back inside.

Buy metal trackway like they use at events rather than put hardcore down.

If you need bays for chip, then bricks and mortar are expensive to buy and then worthless to anyone but you (and fixed in their location).

Instead, buy the concrete lego blocks instead- not only can they move with you, but if you manage to buy secondhand they wil never loose any more value.

Have you considered RSJs with railway sleepers. Goes up quick and reasonably sturdy.

Our unit costs £20k a year + £8k in rates. We have 1000sqft of offices on 2 stories and the unit is 4000sqft. Only 10 or so years old. Toilets, showers, kitchen. Plenty of parking outside, enough room inside to store all plant and vehicles in the warm and dry. We are no longer embarrassed to invite clients over for coffee or tea and we can host training sessions here. Lots of lovely big trees to practice on and a lake to walk round or swim in. Oh, and a beer fridge.

I can't stand mud. Got too much of that when working for someone else.

Got a yard at the minute which is pay as you go £20 to tip a full load of greenwaste on the burnsite and price on logs depends to how many loads go up there and can use the farmers tractor for £6 an hour with the hi crack to process them, can't take any chip there.. He lives on site so have a few rules.. New yards come up which belonged to a friend in the business who is packing up at £216 a month not hard standing has a burnsite farmer just let's you crack on do what you want within reson but no tractor use for processing wood but it comes with my pals 5years worth of logs that he's taken in there.. Can also take as much chip in there as you please.. Keep both? one for decent wood where the tractor is and all the shite softwood to the new one and burn? Decisions!