what log splitter to buy and avoid

John in Scotland

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the oxdale se400, had for a couple of years now. for what it is,no real complaints.

It had to have a new oil tank fitted as one of the weld seams split but done on warranty,

It lacks a bit of grunt for dealing with real knotty pieces or tough pieces of dead elm etc.

counting the days so I can get a tractor then get a good PTO jobbie.

I've got early oxdale

Ok until you get knarly twisted then can be bit of struggle

Bottom plate/table could usefully be bigger.....And if could be arsed would get some weld on it to make it a bit less slippy

Splitter head could be better designed, would be better if point was bit farther out and blade extended a bit further back - sometimes smaller logs slip behind blade

Ok for own use, probably not for commercial production

my good friend sean has a 27 ton one from rock machinery i think it was £12/1400 i,ve used it a few times its a petrol version by the way uses about a gall a day all depends how hard you work it etc as i,am just a plodder and dont punish machinery anyway he,s had it a couple years now no problems at all i also think rock have a website too and have new models coming out all the time check them out

R5log I made an involuntary sound when I saw that pic:blushing:

Now that's a splitter:thumbup1:

I've for a vertical 9 ton petrol from Fuelwood, can't fault it in any way.:001_smile:

As above 9 ton from fuelwood or infamous A11 from Balfor / Riko. Thor is good gear as is Posch. Budget and tonnage required tho ???