what does a firewood sale cost you in timber?

farmer_ben

Hi have just spent/wasted the morning weighing an IBC of wet logs. This was short stuff at sub 8" mainly beech but some oak and ash. The total wieght of logs in a crate was 550kg and a crate holds 1.13m3 when level so 486kg per m3. Of course this will shrink during drying so will not make 1m3 when dry.

For interest these are the densities of the wet wood from the 3 samples I measured.

Beech 1040kg m3

Ash 826kg m3

Oak 801kg m3

A picture of the crate of logs

DSC02039.jpg.613ec82e155114b20a194947b587856a.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick

I put my price up to £105 for new and 95 for reg for a single m3 or 2.4 for 200 if I went higher I would not sell.

If I add everything in including paying back savings for kits I am probably making £50 a cube Are they all selling big quantity round you Nick ?

Yes mate.

Several will get through 10+ artic loads a yr..

I make good money at £80 for 1.3 cubic metre loads.

But I very rarely buy any timber..

Hi have just spent/wasted the morning weighing an IBC of wet logs. This was short stuff at sub 8" mainly beech but some oak and ash. The total wieght of logs in a crate was 550kg and a crate holds 1.13m3 when level so 486kg per m3. Of course this will shrink during drying so will not make 1m3 when dry.

For interest these are the densities of the wet wood from the 3 samples I measured.

Beech 1040kg m3

Ash 826kg m3

Oak 801kg m3

So you are saying wet beech is 1040kg logged 8 inch is a cubic metre?

Beech 1040kg m3

Ash 826kg m3

Oak 801kg m3

Sorry see your conversion now

About a ton of wet to 2.1 cube roughly?

People must be buying cord a lot cheaper than we are in the north east!

I bought stock in at £49 a ton delivered (plus vat - I'll discount this as I'm vat registered {volunteered,not through turnover!!!} ) and always work on 1.5 cube to a ton. Therefore, 49 divided by 1.5 equals £32.67 per cube. I sell a load for £80.95 (plus vat = £85) so the timber cost is 40%.

I am having serious doubts about continuing this year for two reasons - lack of hardwood available and the price it is - managed to get one load in but it is £55 per ton roadside plus vat plus haulage and this is the way it appears to be going.

Sorry see your conversion now

About a ton of wet to 2.1 cube roughly?

Probably more like 2m3 max as this is the weight of logs not cord so some waste in processing.

Joy. Not meaning to be cheeky but it sounds like you sell a very generous m3 of logs.

Edited by Woodworks

This is simple calculation I use to work out costs, of course there's a few variables but it's there or thereabouts. I think if more firewood sellers actually worked out their actual costs you would see prices would go up significantly

Timber at roadside per ton £45.00

Haulage per ton £10.00 £250 per 25t load

Total in yard cost per ton £55.00

Convert to cubic metre 1.5 Based on 1 ton equalling 1.5m3 when sawn to 10" and split

Cost per cubic metre £36.67

Cost per load before processed £55.00 Based on 1.5m3 per delivery

Convert to firewood £25.00 Based on load per hour at £25 p/h

Delivery £25.00 Based on 1 delivery per hour at £25 p/h

Total cost: £105.00

I'm unclear on Woodworks figures above. If a 1.13 cubic metre crate filled with Beech & Ash weighs 550kg then where does the Beech 1040kg per cm come from??