House building

Lee Winger

Hi does anyone have any experience of pricing up a new build (4 bed 2 storey detached 100 metres ) I have been on Jewsons costing calculator and it says £1000 per metre for mid quality fittings , is this about right and would this include labour?

I don't need to include the land price as I already have the plot.

cheers guys

Lee

I built one in Kent 2007 to 08/9. It was a three bedder detached with integral garage. I built the shell and done all the grondwork with me and just one bricklayer. It was about 100 square mtrs including the integral garage. The kitchen was the high end of the Howden range and the bathroom was contractors pack as was the on suite. I done the plumbing heating myself, and put in a system boiler in the garage so no expensive Mega Flow paraphanalia. I wired it myself and got a part P company to inspect 1st and 2nd fix and sign it off. I painted it and done the landscaping. Carpets were contractors spec.

I was building to sell so I wasnt concerned about fancy fittings.

The recession was biting hard then so I got good prices on materials.

I had to struggle through it by myself as the banks were going down as I was going up with it and no one was lending.

The build was all in at 90k including the vat,electric, gas, water and sewer connection and landscaping small garden to front and rear and driveway block paving.

Jewsons guide of £1000 a sq metre is the industry standard and should include labour and mostly contactor spec fittings but will probably not include your service connections,(rip off) landscaping, drawings, Bld control fees and ten year insurance policy. Also code for sustainable homes has added to the build costs. I squeezed all these into my budget as I done so much of it myself (not recommended unless like me, your mad:laugh1:)

One thing I always check first is the location and invert level of the main sewer as just because the site has planning it doesnt mean you can easily connect to the drain:001_huh:....Can be expensive.

Hope this helps.

Im just finishing self build down in canterbury we went for timber frame brick clad using roe timber for frame and got quotes of mybuilder for brickies. I put hold on business for 6 months to do plumbing, wiring etc and saved a large amount we went for average priced fittings and the house will work out at around 155sqm and 645 per sqm the added cost is all the substainable homes requirements and surveys they make you carry out

I built one in Kent 2007 to 08/9. It was a three bedder detached with integral garage. I built the shell and done all the grondwork with me and just one bricklayer. It was about 100 square mtrs including the integral garage. The kitchen was the high end of the Howden range and the bathroom was contractors pack as was the on suite. I done the plumbing heating myself, and put in a system boiler in the garage so no expensive Mega Flow paraphanalia. I wired it myself and got a part P company to inspect 1st and 2nd fix and sign it off. I painted it and done the landscaping. Carpets were contractors spec.

I was building to sell so I wasnt concerned about fancy fittings.

The recession was biting hard then so I got good prices on materials.

I had to struggle through it by myself as the banks were going down as I was going up with it and no one was lending.

The build was all in at 90k including the vat,electric, gas, water and sewer connection and landscaping small garden to front and rear and driveway block paving.

Jewsons guide of £1000 a sq metre is the industry standard and should include labour and mostly contactor spec fittings but will probably not include your service connections,(rip off) landscaping, drawings, Bld control fees and ten year insurance policy. Also code for sustainable homes has added to the build costs. I squeezed all these into my budget as I done so much of it myself (not recommended unless like me, your mad:laugh1:)

One thing I always check first is the location and invert level of the main sewer as just because the site has planning it doesnt mean you can easily connect to the drain:001_huh:....Can be expensive.

Hope this helps.

Small pumping station up to the drain......if you've got to connect on to the main sewer it can cost!