Log splitter help needed

Beoleyboy

Hi,

I'm in the market for a log splitter but have always split wood by hand before so don't know where to start.

We are looking for a tractor mounted splitter. We have a load of oak that is quite well seasoned and two more oak trees that need to come down so will be splitting that too. What sort of force would we need?

We have looked online and found KTM machinery but can't get a guarantee in writing on the invoice which is a little concerning. What about Oxlade? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend a tractor PTO driven type, i.e. with its own self contained hydraulics.

Can run the tractor at low engine rpms, esp if 2 speed PTO, and still get good performance

Sommat 13, 15 tonne upwards.

Try Riko, or Marshall Agri Eng (for KRPAN brand)

I bought a 17 tonne Krpan and am pleased with it.

I would recommend Oxdale for good customer service and a quality British product. I went for the E400D because it doesn't tie up a tractor and we have solar panels on the farm so electric made sense. There are a few knotty hard bits of oak which it doesn't like but there isn't much that will stop it.

I have an Oxdale and I'm very pleased with it. Had it a few years now and have no idea how good or bad the customer services are because I never needed them.

Knotty old seasoned oak may be a bit challenging at times but for the very few bits it won't do I doubt much else would either.

Cousin has a horizontal splitter which I think is the Browns splitter. He too is pleased with it and If I had a pile of seasoned oak might be my choice.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the Oxdale.

Hi,

I'm in the market for a log splitter but have always split wood by hand before so don't know where to start.

We are looking for a tractor mounted splitter. We have a load of oak that is quite well seasoned and two more oak trees that need to come down so will be splitting that too. What sort of force would we need?

We have looked online and found KTM machinery but can't get a guarantee in writing on the invoice which is a little concerning. What about Oxlade? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

What about a Hycrack cone splitter . No hydraulics to worry about . Some people are frightened of them but I recon they are the billie bollox ! See the other thread " screw type splitters "

Edited by Stubby
extra info .

I've got oxdale too

Probably quite early one as I nearly bought their prototype off ebay but went for a production one

It struggles with knotty wood ..... Wish there was a bit more umph in hydraulics ....I 've seen reports of welds shearing but I've never had a problem .....

Might be a bit slow for commercial splitting .......but pleasant enough day just splitting logs