Cheaper brand saws

njc110381

Ill swap my ms260 with a bunch of chains 2 15" bar one sugiharra one stihl and the other is 18" stihl bar. Saw runs on aspen for ur 660😜

I bet you would...:lol:

Parts backup did come to mind. For that, locally at least, Stihl beats the rest hands down. Whether Husqvarna has caught up recently I don't know? But at one time they were shocking - and the uk distributor was in the same town as me!:001_rolleyes:

I'm really liking the look of the Shindaiwa. But what's the score with this autotune on the Husky's? Good or bad? Is it a fancy name for cheap, non adjustable carb?!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there comes a time when the very best name in the business can go down hill. I think because sometimes companies rely on their reputation and know they have to sell a lot of junk before people catch on? Mountfield mowers are a very good example. Older ones are fantastic but the newer ones, well...

At the same time there will be up and coming brands overtaking them. The Shindaiwa 452s looks to have a very good power to weight ratio and is over £100 less than an equal model Stihl.

To be honest I wish I could get hold of a brand new Husky 254xp - I loved that saw!:thumbup1:

There's a lot being said about the Echo over the one I'm looking at. I like them, apart from the choke switch. It looks vulnerable to damage sticking out like it does?

I've used a ported Echo 510 in a logging environment for months. Your starter pull is more likely to get caught on stuff than the choke on any saw.

The Echo is still running, and she is 10 years old or so.

I'll chime in, of course.

I wouldn't even say the quality is an issue worth discussing. Shindaiwa/Echo(both under Yamabiko now), Stihl, Husqvarna, are built to the same standards. All saws nowadays are EPA choked, and have similar power for their displacements, etc. The Husky AT and Stihl M-Tronic are notable exceptions, as are their prices. I have been using saws off and on for 25 years now. Until the electronics made the scene, they have all been more or less the same for quality and power.

It is astonishing how much marketing plays a role in branding. People like the policy Stihl have of no internet selling etc. "Face to face customer service" is what it's all about, etc. This policy has little to do with the consumer - it is to protect the dealers, but marketing says otherwise, and folks believe that nonsense.

I have had completely abhorrent service from virtually all saw dealers in my lifetime, and great service from all likes. Service has more to do with the shop than the brand.

What matters to most is the support. If you do not work on your saws, or are flat out unable to, support matters. In such a case, this will drive purchases and create brand loyalties. And for good reason. What ya need to consider is if that Shindaiwa/Stihl/Husky does fail, and you need a part - does your local guy have it right here right now? Do you have spares?

If you ask me - if you make a living with equipment, you need to know that equipment inside and out. You need to be able to make it work if it fails because it undoubtedly will fail you sooner or later - no matter the brand, and I have used them all. If it hasn't failed, you haven't been using it. Let's be honest here - it does not get any more simple than a petrol powered chainsaw as machines go. You can probably fit most saws on three pages of IPL, including an exploded carb view. Know your equipment.

Hi

+1 from me, Excellent post

N

I'll chime in, of course.

I wouldn't even say the quality is an issue worth discussing. Shindaiwa/Echo(both under Yamabiko now), Stihl, Husqvarna, are built to the same standards. All saws nowadays are EPA choked, and have similar power for their displacements, etc. The Husky AT and Stihl M-Tronic are notable exceptions, as are their prices. I have been using saws off and on for 25 years now. Until the electronics made the scene, they have all been more or less the same for quality and power.

It is astonishing how much marketing plays a role in branding. People like the policy Stihl have of no internet selling etc. "Face to face customer service" is what it's all about, etc. This policy has little to do with the consumer - it is to protect the dealers, but marketing says otherwise, and folks believe that nonsense.

I have had completely abhorrent service from virtually all saw dealers in my lifetime, and great service from all likes. Service has more to do with the shop than the brand.

What matters to most is the support. If you do not work on your saws, or are flat out unable to, support matters. In such a case, this will drive purchases and create brand loyalties. And for good reason. What ya need to consider is if that Shindaiwa/Stihl/Husky does fail, and you need a part - does your local guy have it right here right now? Do you have spares?

If you ask me - if you make a living with equipment, you need to know that equipment inside and out. You need to be able to make it work if it fails because it undoubtedly will fail you sooner or later - no matter the brand, and I have used them all. If it hasn't failed, you haven't been using it. Let's be honest here - it does not get any more simple than a petrol powered chainsaw as machines go. You can probably fit most saws on three pages of IPL, including an exploded carb view. Know your equipment.

this can not be true enough and I have seen it lots

I don't like the way the Mitox is classed as a heavy duty homeowner saw. To me homeowners use a saw a few times per year to fell the odd small tree or cut some wood to burn.

Most annoyingly they list the weight of it with bar and chain when everyone else just lists the engine unit... How much does a 15" bar and chain weigh?! It throws the easy comparison straight out the window!:confused1: