Buying advice

BeanWoody

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the paperwork the Husky's seem to be the better option with fairer price tags but for the same power to weight comparison the Huskys seem to win each time.

I hired a Makita for my course and on the last day tried a Stihl, out of the two prefered the Makita seemed to have more grunt. The trainer had no preference out of what saw he prefers hands down. On the other hand some people I've spoken to are looking to move over from Stihl to Huskys once they need to get a new saw, or even a Makita although a local Makita/Stihl dealer to me said they were stopping the Makita's as there seem to be issues - didnt really go into detail. With the Sthils they're sayng the Stihl saw doesnt feel the same as they used to.

In terms of the Husky Ive narrowed it down to either a 545 or a 365, where the 365 would be a long term versitile saw when the 545 would be what i would use now for gaining experience and taking further training. Is this choice the right one?

The 545 would suit as a small felling and limbing saw, it has the same power as my 346xp had, and I felled a lot of trees with that, the 365 is a much bigger saw for pulling much bigger bars and is suited for 18+" stuff. It's heavy but has a lot of grunt! The choice is yours, do you plan on doing tons of larger trees? Or will the 545 suit you better? Or meet in the middle and get a 555

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As yet I'm only qualified to fell small trees, so guessing short term it would be overkill using the 365, and would be using it for small tree's, limbing and logs for the next few months at least.

As I plan on working up through the NPTC scheme I'm guessing either the 545 or 555 would suit as they are probably light enough to use for the climbing aspect?

• 2 weeks later...
I have been offered a second hand Husky 357XP, what are peoples opinion on this?

Good alternative instead of buying new for my first saw?

Hi, all depends what condition its in, how its been looked after & what sort of use in the past, & how practical you are with fixing things if its got or develops a problem. Nothing worse than a dog you have to throw money at to keep going.

If its not had heavy constant use, is in good nick & not a Chinese copy then fine as it looks a decent pro saw but cant comment more as not used one. That said it looks like a slightly larger 346 which is a cracking saw & would like to own (if anyones got a good 'un - please :001_smile:).

N

Edited by NFG

The 357 is a good sought after saw, being an xp commands a higher price tag secondhand tho.

They are a trifle heavy in my eyes but not excessive. Suffered a few carb issues with the earlier walbro carbs but changed mid flow over to the zama carb which some people feel is a set back.

Certainly a saw to consider and shouldn't devalue in any big way.

Woody, have you settled on a power level that you require? The Husky 545 is 3.3hp, the Stihl equivalent would be the MS251 at 3hp or the MS261 at 3.9hp.

I'd be inclined to buy new and have peace of mind.

That Husky does look a nice saw, a genuinely good all rounder.