Alpine tractor work

Treehugger1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of winch should I be looking at?

Try looking at tajfun as well, via kilworth now, who also do Alpines, so should know about the geometry issues you can get with linkages on alpines. Not sure how big you have to go to get hydro/remote, but my 3.5 ton tajfun as a nice fast pull,the handy towing bracket and isn't wider than the tractor.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Maybe this Sunday Tom? Looking through all the sites about winches and it's mind boggling.

Is there much contract work for ploughing drains?

Riko UK :: Uniforest 40EH - 40kN Forestry Winch

Winch Krpan 4,5 EH - Krpan

The problem with getting a winch is that nobody does demos. They will go out their way to arrange for you to go and see one of their winches working. However your closest one maybe a drive away. The other thing is that there is no subsitute for putting the one you want on your tractor and driving around with it.

According to the specs of those they should go on a small tractor.

What type of winch should I be looking at?

Like the others have said, Uniforest, Krpan, Tajfun are all worth a look, but for a 50hp alpine I'd be surprised if you can find an electro hydraulic one that will fit and work well with the back end of the smaller alpines.

I used to have a 3.5t uniforest behind mine and that worked well enough, but the jump in size to the 4.5 was quite a bit, plus it was a good bit heavier from memory.

Ideally it could have done to have the bottom link arm holes lower on the winch and I had to run the top link quite long, with the top of the winch leaning out a little more than I'd have ideally wanted. That was more to do with the back end of the tractor rather than the winch itself though.

Like Dave said, ideally speak to someone who sells both winches and alpine tractors as they have quite quirky geometry.

If you can find one, the old ratchet brake Krpan's fit very well as they are close coupled and pick up from low down. They're a totally different design to the newer style ones.

The smaller Iglands are (or were) similar too and worked well on the Alpines.

I have used a 3.5ton Tajfun on the back of a 56hp BCS, very well balanced set up for skidding, I think if you went for anything much bigger than this it would be getting a bit heavy on the back of the tractor for skidding out with.

Seriously impressive set up with where you could winch yourself out of for dealing with steep terrain.

Reverse drive is ace, even with the winch on its nice and quick to spin the seat and drive in facing the right way in narrow racks. Only issue I had was the cabs are tiny for getting in and out of when winching and you really want one if your doing a lot of ride flailing