How old is too old

tedward

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say over 35, no offense anyone.

Less of the being fit, im sure there are 50 year olds fitter than me, more of the it takes quite a while to be good at this job and I wouldnt want to be over 40 before I was any good in this profession.

Although there are plenty of 20 year olds who will never do a decent days tree climbing in their life.

I started climbing at twenty and have done so for thirty five years. I reckon my peak (speed wise) was around forty five. In the last five years things have caught up physically and mentally. Now I just ache and hurt when I'm resting and with no real motivation for run of the mill tree work.:001_smile:

In the last month I've had my hand flattened by a big lump of pop on a takedown; dropped the 020 across my bicep and put a ground saw across my boot. All very close calls and due to tiredness and lack of concentration!

So in answer to the OP: starting at forty puts you way behind in experience and by the time you have some then you may be starting to think 'what the hell am I doing here':001_smile: Have a go...you never know.

The trick is to remember it ain't all just about climbing. Older heads and life experience can compliment necessary skills in this industry. You won't have a business if you climb like a demon but are impolite, unhelpful,unprofessional and worst of all sins not punctual..

Tree surgery is all about teamwork. Pick your climbing jobs as you fancy them and make sure your team is balanced enough to allow youth and enthusiasm to shine when the job merits. Meanwhile from the point of maturity hold the ship together and attend to all the important logistical efforts that keep the ship afloat and your customers giving you great references. I reckon there's a place for everyone .....

hi guys looks like 40 aint to old makes me feel a little better :thumbup: but let me add a little twist to my first question would anyone take a 40yr old guy on with basic chainsaw skills and very little experience but the willingness to learn and gain skills or is it better to get as many qualifications as you can before looking for a job :confused1::confused1::confused1:

hi guys looks like 40 aint to old makes me feel a little better :thumbup: but let me add a little twist to my first question would anyone take a 40yr old guy on with basic chainsaw skills and very little experience but the willingness to learn and gain skills or is it better to get as many qualifications as you can before looking for a job :confused1::confused1::confused1:

Start looking as soon as possible, it may take longer than you think. Jobs may be limited and you don't want to miss opportunities. Basic chainsaw skills would get you started, but it's the maturity learnt personal skills that are often even more of an asset to an employer.