PTO powered equipment safety advice needed

njc110381

After a long search I have finally managed to find myself a little Unimog. Now I could do with some advice regarding running equipment with it as this is something I'm fairly inexperienced with.

I have a fairly light weight saw bench made by Balfor, and also a Hycrack splitter. What I want to work out is whether this sort of thing can be run without connecting it to the vehicle? I appreciate the Hycrack would need some serious support... Maybe a heavy bench? And the saw will need securing down somehow too. I guess what I'm wondering is if that is at all possible, or is it a real no go area?! Obviously if the tool isn't held down well the whole lot could start spinning if something jams, but just how heavy would a support need to be to hold it still?

I want to make sure I stay safe with this thing. I know the basic rules of use but this is something I've never approached or needed to look in to before.

Edit... I should add that this is for private use, not work.

Edited by njc110381

I wouldn't want to run anything on a pto that wasn't heavy enough to snap a shear pin or activate a slip clutch if the worst where to happen personally id have some kind of bar fitted between implement and pto to garuntee the pto is not being run at the rong angle or with to little sharft crossover

As a farmer, often with scant regard to my own personal safety, I wouldn't entertain the idea of running anything with a pto that was not attached directly to whatever vehicle the pto originated from.

I would risk no guards on shafts, pullies etc (I do not recomend it though) but not with the above.

Having said that, nor would i want to risk a hycrack splitter at all.

I know folk get on famously with them but I have it ingrained in me never to be anywhere near a moving pto shaft. And that is exactly what a hycrack is.

Peasgood I'm with you on the hycrack!

Looks like an accident waiting to happen!

If your not experienced in running tractors , hydraulics and pto's you will learn more in an hour with someone who is than you will yourself in a few months.

Maybe someone on here is local and could give you some tips.

Lets see done pics of the beast :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I had a feeling that the answer in my head would be the correct one... I guess my initiative isn't too shabby even if my confidence may be. I'll get myself some sort of mounting plate made up and use that until I can afford a linkage for it.:thumbup:

Regarding the Hycrack - well that thing certainly demands some strict rules of use, but it feels perfectly safe when it's understood and respected. The main thing to note, and it's a rule I see many folk breaking on youtube - even the videos from Hycrack themselves, is to never put your hand on the right side of the log being split. I also knock any jams off with a stick rather than fight with them by hand. Always feed logs holding them on the left and to the front. That way a log that sticks and flips over just pulls out of your hands. Put a hand to the right and well, if you're not quick enough to pull it out of the way in time that 70hp+ is pushing the log down with your hand between it and the table. In short, I think that could hurt a bit so it pays to keep your mind on the job!:scared1:

Finally, the mog. It's a 1979 U900. It's disk braked and has a cascade box, 540/1000 pto to the rear, trailer air, hydraulics, 3 way tipper bed. It also has some little bonus bits - intermittent wipers, exhaust brake, heated windscreen, air assisted wipers which I haven't figured out how to use yet!... It looks a little untidy in places but all the important bits are ok. There is one serious rust spot on the cab which I need to get welded but generally it's better than average. I've found a repair section for the front and have a friend who is a very good welder... I may even pull the cab completely and have him overhaul it but I haven't decided yet.

DSCF6044_zps8032518b.jpg

DSCF6043_zps01be95a6.jpg

The front tyres have been changed to MPT MIL's until I can afford a set of V treads. The set on the back were good AC70's but they were 405's and I want to keep the turning circle small, so I sold them. In the picture the front tyres look smaller and that concerned me when I went to see it because of the extra work load that may have put on the diffs, but on closer inspection they were the same circumference so all was well.

Time will tell if it was a good buy, but if it all goes pear shaped I didn't pay a lot for it and can get most of what it owes me back (just over £4k) by selling it in pieces!

I've got a rear shaft but no centraliser box yet. All parts I haven't got are on my shopping list as and when I stumble across them for sensible money.

I know I'm going about things a bit the wrong way as sourcing seperate parts for them can be expensive, but I couldn't afford a full spec mog and this one came up locally at a price I knew I could get back if it didn't work out. I'm just going to make it a long term project - it's more a toy that I've always wanted than something I can justify as a work tool. I think I can make it into what I need it to be for less than I would have paid for it from a dealer if I'm patient, but time will tell.

I'm just happy to have a mog... I'm like a kid in a sweet shop every time I look out of the window and see it on the drive! :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

I've got a rear shaft but no centraliser box yet. All parts I haven't got are on my shopping list as and when I stumble across them for sensible money.

I know I'm going about things a bit the wrong way as sourcing seperate parts for them can be expensive, but I couldn't afford a full spec mog and this one came up locally at a price I knew I could get back if it didn't work out. I'm just going to make it a long term project - it's more a toy that I've always wanted than something I can justify as a work tool. I think I can make it into what I need it to be for less than I would have paid for it from a dealer if I'm patient, but time will tell.

I'm just happy to have a mog... I'm like a kid in a sweet shop every time I look out of the window and see it on the drive! :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

Nice one, i know the feeling,mine just puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it.:001_smile: