Advice on walnut

jeanesy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The owners are resigned to doing this, however if there is any way of saving the tree they want to do it. Due to the access, the tree will have to be craned over the top of the building to be removed and a new tree of a particular size replanted...again, craned over the top of the building....the access really is that bad. Quality job, but last resort.

Dismantle & replant a walnut away from building.

This I would concur with if possible - whatever ends up happening with the original tree it would be prudent to plan for its succession and if there's space to plant something then with luck it may be possible to plan this on a long enough timeframe that the eventual impact is minimal.

There is a much wider range of sizes and forms of walnut tree (and nut) than is generally recognised. If the site doesn't really allow for a large tree then there are much smaller varieties. This site has the best range of anyone I know of (over 100 ornamental and nut-bearing varieties, described in detail in the catalogue):

Welcome at the website Nusery Smallekamp

The trees are reasonably priced but shipping is expensive. As it happens I'm just about to place an order for a couple of trees and adding a third wouldn't affect it, so I'd be happy to add one if they decide to go that route, and ship it on in the UK. I'll be placing the order between Christmas and New Year.

Alec

Alec

Budget is not really an issue, I know they would be willing to do whatever it takes...within reason.

What method could have been used to measure how much root damage has taken place?

Static Load testing is one way of assessing tree stability.

I've only ever seen demos but we have one or two trees that we have penned in for a pull test at some point.

Tree works environmental offer the service

Tree Stability Assessment

It involves placing a known load on a tree and measuring the movement of the root plate and stem via inclinometer readings.

IMG_7366.jpg.1a44bbb771155619bd5c65d61b91e8ae.jpg

IMG_7365.jpg.248bca11d5d68596a5d997aa5f1ca0c2.jpg

IMG_7368.jpg.911c83f09a1262e8341da50b46ac3c29.jpg

IMG_7364.jpg.deda58a8f422670862fe4b9efefe17b3.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg.da1635fc1aa4522dece7104c46cbfeb1.jpg

This I would concur with if possible - whatever ends up happening with the original tree it would be prudent to plan for its succession and if there's space to plant something then with luck it may be possible to plan this on a long enough timeframe that the eventual impact is minimal.

There is a much wider range of sizes and forms of walnut tree (and nut) than is generally recognised. If the site doesn't really allow for a large tree then there are much smaller varieties. This site has the best range of anyone I know of (over 100 ornamental and nut-bearing varieties, described in detail in the catalogue):

The trees are reasonably priced but shipping is expensive. As it happens I'm just about to place an order for a couple of trees and adding a third wouldn't affect it, so I'd be happy to add one if they decide to go that route, and ship it on in the UK. I'll be placing the order between Christmas and New Year.

Alec

Alec

Thanks Alec. The hotel is actually in Amsterdam so no worries about shipping!!

Thanks for the link, will have a look through and have a chat with the owners.

If the tree were to fail they are concerned that as they have had this report done by a local authority approved consultant and they have recommended the removal of the tree, then if it were to fail and do any damage, then it may be an issue when it comes to insurance payments.

Has anyone had any experience of cabling trees to buildings?

We've only tethered trees to other trees, like this veteran lapsed beech pollard, which was cable braced to a couple of adjacent maidens but I recall an example (similar to yours) in the Basque, an area where they give more stall to their 'useful' trees . This fairly mature Walnut had blown over completely in a storm and broken a number of roots, they had it winched back upright and cabled on to the building. Tbh, I didn't look too cloely at the brackets on the building, but I'm sure suitable ones could be procured fairly easily at a hardware shop.

This cabling had been on the tree for a number of years and the tree was in rude health I seem to remember and fruiting well.

DSC09904.jpg.e591ded4a7041c510021ac7e2ad96b6b.jpg

DSC09903.jpg.d627b78d5db95ea8d88c69fbf1139e53.jpg

597667873b28f_DSC09903-Copy.jpg.6aff81c27923e60b54493aa8bbef63c1.jpg

IMG_7968.jpg.909995361279d684623587e72df5cc3a.jpg

IMG_7946.jpg.34f4716f242144c8b58394e0801f7e93.jpg

IMG_7981.jpg.fcf3c88683899e2c1efde5ce73fd0006.jpg

Alec

Alec

I drive past Nunspeet (where their nursery is) a few times a year. In fact if you'd posted the above a little earlier I might have been able to help (maybe there is time still?) as my brother will be coming this way on the 28th with an empty car and likely an empty 20ft trailer.

You're not too far off-route from Harwich to Lincs are you?

There is no such thing as boxing day in the Netherlands -though a lot of people take the day off- and the 27th is a normal working day. May be able to save you some pennies?