Looking for firewood supplier in the Egham/staines area

Gingerbread

As the title says... I know I should have arranged this before the season started but I haven't and now I can't seem to find a local supplier. I am just a member of the public looking to enjoy our new log burner!......

PS no-one told me I had to feed the darn thing every hour!! must be doing it wrong.

Welcome to the wood-burning world and all its complexities! It's a real cut throat world this wood selling.....To the customers advantage mind.

By looking here on this forum you will have, by now, worked out the price of a 1.2m3, 1.0m3 or 0.8m3 load of firewood delivered to your door. How it is delivered is the vendors choice and the prices vary by £10 or £20 but you must discover the quantity or you will be paying a little too much. A reputable merchant will advise you and this is where you will have to do your homework as there are a LOT of 'cash' dealers out there. Personally I think you will receive a plethora of messages on here after your Q. A quick google search for 'firewood logs' resulted in ten choices in any one area'.

Unfortunately you have omitted to put your location so this won't help focus the replies!

Ring a local reputable 'Tree surgeon' and ask them......

As to your hourly stoking there is a simple rule; 1Kg of dry wood produces 3Kw of heat so by the sound of your fire it is around the 5K which is about right for an hours burning, plus the ash mess and the insects and the dust and the bits of bark and the dirt that they bring in and the fact that you have to do this regularly.......And have a good dry store nearby. Good luck!

codlasher

Edited by codlasher

As the title says... I know I should have arranged this before the season started but I haven't and now I can't seem to find a local supplier. I am just a member of the public looking to enjoy our new log burner!......

PS no-one told me I had to feed the darn thing every hour!! must be doing it wrong.

Welcome to the site.

As a stove retailer myself I would say blame for that lays with your retailer, he should have advised you on a suitable heat output for your room, how to use the stove and any other help and advice you need to get the best out of it. Of course if you bought it on line you will get none of this support, but you may have paid a slightly lower price.

Re charge intervals will depend on what you are burning, assuming you have the air supplies fully open so are working the stove to its max capacity then re charging with softwood will last about 40-45 mins, hard about 50-55 mins.

If longer refuelling times are important to you then use Anthracite ( natural smokeless coal) assuming your stove is multifuel and able to burn it.

A

Hi gingerbread.Sorry I am too far away to supply you but here is a few pointers.

Ask other people near to you who they use I find most of my sales come this way.

Read the manual which came with the stove and understand how the air vents work.

Use plenty of kindling to start and try to get good quality hardwoods not too much oak

put agood load on and burn it fast untill the logs are forming a black charcol effect then

close the air off and it should last a long time and give off plenty of heat.Even if it looks like it has gone out let in air and rake the embers and it will be off again.

Hope this helps just keep experementing you will get the hang of it.Chris

If longer refuelling times are important to you then use Anthracite ( natural smokeless coal) assuming your stove is multifuel and able to burn it.

A

Don't use that, it's crap

I tried some this year and it was rubbish, neither me or the neighbours (with Parkray/Esse and Charnwood Multi's) could burn it - as soon as you turned your back it would go out,ven with all vents fully opened

We get better results with Excel or Homefire Ovals

I'll try and refrain from smugly saying that you should have thought of this before you purchased the stove. I have noticed the red top tabloids advertising stoves(woodburning only) and how much they can reduce ones heating bills. All well and good if you have a regular, pre planned, preferably free source of good quality wood but if not and you have to buy it(not to mention keep it working when you are out of the house) then the cheapest option is probably mains gas if you have access.

There i've gone and done it with my smug reply.

Sorry

One thing the OP could consider is getting an entire pallet of compressed peat briquettes delivered.

This is my local place( I have never used them as manage to source my own logs)

Wood Fuel Co-operative - The Woodfuel Co-operative

Good luck and enjoy your woodburner. As with many things practice makes perfect.

Welcome to the wood-burning world and all its complexities! It's a real cut throat world this wood selling.....To the customers advantage mind.

By looking here on this forum you will have, by now, worked out the price of a 1.2m3, 1.0m3 or 0.8m3 load of firewood delivered to your door. How it is delivered is the vendors choice and the prices vary by £10 or £20 but you must discover the quantity or you will be paying a little too much. A reputable merchant will advise you and this is where you will have to do your homework as there are a LOT of 'cash' dealers out there. Personally I think you will receive a plethora of messages on here after your Q. A quick google search for 'firewood logs' resulted in ten choices in any one area'.

Unfortunately you have omitted to put your location so this won't help focus the replies!

Ring a local reputable 'Tree surgeon' and ask them......

As to your hourly stoking there is a simple rule; 1Kg of dry wood produces 3Kw of heat so by the sound of your fire it is around the 5K which is about right for an hours burning, plus the ash mess and the insects and the dust and the bits of bark and the dirt that they bring in and the fact that you have to do this regularly.......And have a good dry store nearby. Good luck!

codlasher

Omitted to put his location? The title of the thread might give it away!

I like this bit :thumbup:

Hi gingerbread.Sorry I am too far away to supply you but here is a few pointers.

Ask other people near to you who they use I find most of my sales come this way.

Read the manual which came with the stove and understand how the air vents work.

Use plenty of kindling to start and try to get good quality hardwoods not too much oak

put agood load on and burn it fast untill the logs are forming a black charcol effect then

close the air off and it should last a long time and give off plenty of heat.Even if it looks like it has gone out let in air and rake the embers and it will be off again.

Hope this helps just keep experementing you will get the hang of it.Chris

• 2 weeks later...