Noisy diff on Transit

Phil71

Are you sure it's the diff and not one of the two prop support bearings? They don't half whine when they're on the way out, and they don't have to be that bad (hardly noticeable in fact, jack it up and put your ear to them) to make a hell of a racket when the truck gets above twenty ish.

Mine have failed after only 500 miles. They can bloody well stay like it.

Have similar on my Iveco. Starts about 15-20 mph but is not noticable when heavily laden. Neighbour runs an HGV fitters place but does a lot of 3.5t Ivecos and reckons it's where the worn crownwheel and pinion mesh and to try a higher viscosity oil first, i just haven't got round to it yet.

Last whiney diff i had was on a 17T HIAB Scania when i bought it - it lasted one (heavily loaded) day. The replacement from a scrappy also whined and was overloaded and abused for another eight years till i sold it, you just never know...

Just found this on a ford site...

This would seem as though it is a differential concern but before condemning the rear axle I refer you to a Ford Technical service bulletin that points to an axle noise from 43 MPH to 74 MPH. This is for vehicles built from 17/04/06 to 22/09/08. Your vehicle was built on 23/04/07. Basically the noise from the rear axle is been transmitted through the rear shocker mounting points, Ford made revised mountings available but part of the bulletin is to drain the rear axle oil and inspect for signs of metallic swarf that would indicate a differential concern before replacing the mountings with revised mountings.

The TSB number is XXXXX issued 20/02/09. You should be able to obtain a copy of this TSB from your local Ford dealer as I can't post it here for copyright reasons. This gives you the part numbers for the mountings should they be required as they are specific to certain axles and ratios. Also if an axle repair is carried out make sure the correct oil is used, this is fully synthetic 75W-140 oil Ford number(NNN) NNN-NNNNotherwise a repeat failure can occur.

i have an late 2005 complete back Axel sat in the yard doing nothing only done 2000miles from new as i bought it as had a noise in my diff and just filled it up with mollyslip gearbox n axel treatment quieten it down quite alot and about 9 pound to buy

A friend of mine used a Transit pickup on his milk round and he asked me what I thought the whining noise was. I said definitely the differential and he decided to get it done the week after but it only lasted another two days and he ended up getting towed in and paying £600 to get it done quick.