Choice of two ?

treesap

After using a Maculloch chainsaw for a couple of years ( we all start somewhere ) I've decided to treat myself to a upgrade, I have two in mind a Husky 550XP and the Stihl MS 271, I think they're priced similar and intend to handle them before I buy, going by the posts I have read on the subject, either should be suitable for small time logging to keep a stove fed, I always like to get something with a bit in reserve, am I on the right track with these two ?

We all gotta start somewhere. I was in the same boat as you.

141279400.F2WhlyHm.jpg

I assume you are looking for a 50cc saw. You also have options in an Echo 500ES, and the Jonsered and Huskies mentioned.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its just cutting a few logs to feed a stove you prob don't need a 550xp. That's like buying a formula 1 car to go collect the kids in. The husky semipro stuff might be a better bet. And a bit cheaper and easier to handle.

You make a valid point, but it does give me more options to do more in the future, and who wouldn't want to be picked up in an F1....:laugh1:

You make a valid point, but it does give me more options to do more in the future, and who wouldn't want to be picked up in an F1....:laugh1:

The husky semi-pro stuff still rips! The 545 is the semi-pro 550, it'll still outcut a ms260/1 and might even match the husqvarna 346xp in wood

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The husky semi-pro stuff still rips! The 545 is the semi-pro 550, it'll still outcut a ms260/1 and might even match the husqvarna 346xp in wood

I think you guys are right, had a look at the 545 and it certainly looks enough saw, thanks.

I think you guys are right, had a look at the 545 and it certainly looks enough saw, thanks.

Tbf mate, it's almost identical to the 550xp, with a handful of differences, mainly the cylinder porting and the crank stuffers (or lack of). It's a metal crank exactly the same, mostly because husky are lazy and just down rate a machine to get a 'lower grade' product

I have a husky 345 which is a little belter, Ok its not a pro saw but it is very nice to use and with a short bar of 13" it is very well balanced, I got it about 8 years ago as a back up saw, and apart from a leak in the fuel line, its not let me down. I wouldn't want to sell it ever, as its just too useful, especially for a newcomer to gain experience with.

The 545 is probably the newer incarnation of this saw, so should be a good bet.

if its for doing logs and do not want to spend husky or sthil prices but just as good. efco, oleo mac same machine dolmar and a coppicer i know has just got a new saw half the price of the husky 2 year garentee wrote this and now forgot its name its a jap machine and red and black. he uses them all the time and his last one lasted 2 years 3 days before going bang so got his money back