Contract climbing?

pence162no

i do alot of subby work, sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss, as firms will make sure their lads have got work before giving you any. you often end up doing the work that their lads dont want to do, but if your like me and like a challenge then its not a problem.imnot sure i could work for somwone else but often think rhw stability woud be nice

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im self employed in essex, to set up on your own in current financial environment meens running around evenings and weekends(when not working), pricing up and collecting owed payments. servicing your plant etc.have you the money to set up,truck ,chipper,saws,climbing kit,insurance(£1400) etc. you also have to feature in a reliable groundie. if you hve to do all this on finance then think twice. iff you have the readies with new baby and a regular/fair job,think abouy holding on for another year! a fair few s/emlyd lads strugling right now, I know as Ive took one on to save his mortgage,he calls me doom & gloom(may have a point there)! getting started/good workbase is imperative, oh and watch out for the 'while your here, can you just's) good luck whatever you choose to do!

That's one of my concerns. I consider myself pretty competent, and haven't come across a situation I've felt uncomfortable dealing with for quite a long time.

However when I see the competition climbers etc, and compare myself to them, and wonder if they are the sort of climbers I'll be competing for work with.

I'd say I compare quite favourably with most of the climbers I've met through work, but it's a gamble I guess.

Thanks Geoff.

I'm not thinking of starting my own business though. I'm employed as a climber at the moment, and am thinking about going self employed and subbing myself out on a day rate.

I thought becoming self employed would give me flexibility and did it in order to do a part time degree. From my experience I would have had a lot more flexibilty and spare time staying employed with a good firm.

Contract climbing is only worth it if you have a network of good firms. I got to work with some of the industries best but also I had to work for some right shonky outfits to fill my diary.

I often wish I had stayed put as I would certainly have a lot more time with my family. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I've been a subbie for coming up to 3 years, it is very hit and miss. When i started i had about 5 firms wanting to use me, im now down to 3 main firms and sometimes someone else will want me for a day. Yet i've had more work this year than the other 2.

If you know lots of people in the surrounding area it helps massively, networking is key. The more people that know your a soild and dependable worker the more your diary will fill.

pros:

The pay is generally better as a subbie than being empolyed

You decide when/if you have time off

great way to see how otherdo it

vareity of work

claim money back off tax

Cons:

you get injured/hurt money stops

you don't always get paid on time/ever

Everyone wants you on the same day

double booking makes you look like an idiot

different times/ places to meet everyday

don't always get on with people

more paperwork

I freaking love it!:001_tt1:

If you have the work to cover it definitly make the jump. I doubt very much that you will regret it.

You dont have to be an outstanding climber to be fully booked self employed either. (tho you might be). If you have done every job put infornt of you, your easy to deal with and reliable do a few days for a few diffrent companies and youll have plenty of work.

Oh and being self employed you will have less time on your hands. If you have a few people wanting to give you work youlll find yourself working Saturday to try and keep everyone happy.