Extraction options on a very challenging site

Peat

I am about to start managing a number of small woodlands on a farm. The site consists of a steep valley with a railway line cutting across the bottom of it. There is only one decent track which runs across the bottom of one compartment. Access to the rest of it is mostly on what are basically animal tracks. There are a couple of overgrown rides that I will be improving, but most of timber (including the best stuff) is not accessible from these. It is a very mixed broadleaf woodland and initially most of the timber i will be cutting will be poles of under 12". Unfortunatley everything will need to be extracted up hill out of the valley.

I have done lots of research into the different options available, and am willing to invest in equipment as long as I am going to make my money back, but as I will be starting with small scale firewood sales, cleft gates, fencing and other craft items, the initial return is going to be small. It may make the most sense to contract in some horse loggers or someone with a compact tractor extract but at the moment there isn't a decent sized area to store a large amount of logs, it would be better if I could extract and process as I go.

I have used a tracked barrow in very difficult terrain, which has proved to be a fantastic tool for moving small amounts of wood around, but would probably be too slow to make it commercially viable. Have seen pictures of an iron horse dragging pretty big butts. Could a convensional tracked barrow handle this? Or has the iron horse got more power? I've also used simpson 1ton capstan winch which is great for dragging logs short distances to be forwarded out but wouldn't be any good over longer runs.

Logging arches look great, but i doubt I could drag out much weight up those slopes by hand. When i start adding the price of a towing vehicle to devices like this, it starts to look quite expensive. Really i'd like a compact tractor with a skidding winch but i'm worried that it wouldn't be able to cope driving sideways on a slope (but what would?) or moving about within the woodland where there are no tracks

Sorry for the rambling post. I'd really appreciate any advice on any of these extraction methods or any other ideas.

Peat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you not fell a load and get someone to winch it all uphill to the edge of the wood, but leaving it just within the edge of the wood so you can deal with it as and when you get chance? sub 12" poles shouldn't be too bad to handball if you're converting it on site.

If it's steep, I'd not worry messing around with tracked barrows or ATV's.

Sounds like a nightmare. I hope you're not paying anything for it.

I'd be really tempted to buy a track barrow at the right money- it won't loose value. Then take your tools to the timber to create the items that you have orders for, and bring firewood out when you have an order.

To be blunt, it doesn't sound like you'll make enough money from firewood sales to cover pulling the timber out. It would most likely be cheaper to buy it in on a lorry.

Horse logging is expensive.

Skylining is expensive.

Alstor is expensive.

Alpine tractor with a 3pl winch with a very long cable would be your best bet. Although again expensive.

Sounds like a pig of a site and if its small stuff going a long way i doubt you'll make much if any money. Also it may be best to cut some racks/skid tracks in.

Could you not fell a load and get someone to winch it all uphill to the edge of the wood, but leaving it just within the edge of the wood so you can deal with it as and when you get chance? sub 12" poles shouldn't be too bad to handball if you're converting it on site.

If it's steep, I'd not worry messing around with tracked barrows or ATV's.

This seems sensible. If I got someone to winch everything up hill, then most of the compartments would be accessible with the 4x4. Anyone ever used a 12v vehicle winch for extracting? Theres some pretty powerful ones out there, but most only have a max reach of <30m. Much cheaper than a portable capstan.

Doobin, i'm not paying anything for it and will be living there as a seasonal forestry worker, but will still be doing outside work off-site to boost my income from the woodland management. Don't see it as a particularly profitable venture, but a good opportunity for some hard won experience!

Don't bother with the 12v ones. They will not last, no matter how big. They are only rated for one pull and hour anyway.

Capstan winch or hydraulic winch on a tractor.

Pretty much agree.

Electric winch is a waste of time.

Portable capstan or chainsaw winch (like a lewis) might be OK for a few small poles but is never going to be massively fast.

Tractor mounted PTO winch is built to pull trees and usually a fast(ish) line speed. Typically 70-100m of cable fitted but the closer you can get the tractor, the better.

If you are looking to do this to gain some experience and do end up getting someone in to do the extraction - make sure you talk to them first about how they want it presented for maximum efficiency. They will not thank you for leaving a birds nest to deal with.