Can I top this tree? Advice please.

Bald Monkey

Hi Everyone,

A neighbour has asked me to consider topping what I believe is a Norway Spruce down to the level of the conifers at the rear, see pictures below. I personally think it will look a bag of shite if I do it because the shape will have been lost entirely. Also, do you know if there would be any health implications to the tree, does this species tolerate topping.

Apologies if this is a really obvious question but this would be only my second ever job and I don't want to make a mess of it. Any suggestions/comments welcome. By the way not 100% sure of the ID of the tree but the Norway Spruce looks the most likely. Thanks for you help.:thumbup:

59765407bc77b_BrianandCarolNorwayspruce001.jpg.80452299a07bead57158a24e51a6b10b.jpg

59765407bee67_BrianandCarolNorwayspruce002.jpg.9e2728a5d74de979e1ea05c14dcbb191.jpg

59765407c1d25_BrianandCarolNorwayspruce003.jpg.92647b9ebdd0e3b974a11219c48d576c.jpg

Hi Everyone,

A neighbour has asked me to consider topping what I believe is a Norway Spruce down to the level of the conifers at the rear, see pictures below. I personally think it will look a bag of shite if I do it because the shape will have been lost entirely. Also, do you know if there would be any health implications to the tree, does this species tolerate topping.

Apologies if this is a really obvious question but this would be only my second ever job and I don't want to make a mess of it. Any suggestions/comments welcome. By the way not 100% sure of the ID of the tree but the Norway Spruce looks the most likely. Thanks for you help.:thumbup:

[ATTACH]13637[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13638[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13639[/ATTACH]

welcome to the world of real tree surgery mate, leave it alone or fell it, but that will leave a huge gap, and the customer wont want that or want to replant and wait for the gap to fill in. this is when you have to use your powers of persuasion. if you aint happy just walk away and leave them to it or if you are skint and need the money, and it is their decision, someone else will do it if you dont. this is a big can of worms mate that all comes down to the individual. it would look hellish but thats all.:001_smile:

Baldy,

From the pics it looks as if reducing the Spruce to the height of the conifers behind wont be a problem if the conifers form a hedge, any other pics which show the Spruce and conifers from further away? If you remove the Spruce it might expose a large area of dead foliage on the conifers behind which would look worse than a topped tree.

Be aware though, topping trees is the first sign of an amateur arborist = a person who violently prunes back trees/shrubs leaving branches/limbs stubby and arthritic in appearance. Topping is common practice in the UK and widely accepted amongst the general public. :001_tongue:

Baldy,

From the pics it looks as if reducing the Spruce to the height of the conifers behind wont be a problem if the conifers form a hedge, any other pics which show the Spruce and conifers from further away? If you remove the Spruce it might expose a large area of dead foliage on the conifers behind which would look worse than a topped tree.

Be aware though, topping trees is the first sign of an amateur arborist = a person who violently prunes back trees/shrubs leaving branches/limbs stubby and arthritic in appearance. Topping is common practice in the UK and widely accepted amongst the general public. :001_tongue:

Here is a another view of the tree from further away, you are right there is a large area of brown dead foliage in the conifers directly behind the spruce.

597654093eae2_BrianandCarolNorwayspruce.jpg.a30116b788b644b70d2b65a86b3db252.jpg