Billeting

SamWhiting12

After having read the thread on billeting or logs, and due to the yard I have at the minute (on a steep hill and struggle to get machines up and down it), I have decided to go down the billeting road. With no money in the budget to buy a hydraulic splitter I thought this would be a nightmare to try and split by hand.

So I have my oak roundwood on the yard cut to length of about 1m. Tried splitting the metre lengths with a maul and actually found it relatively easy to split. The picture of the billet pile shows all that I managed to split in a few hours. All the nasty, knotty bits are going to be logged and split and put in the polytunnel to season and all the straight nice bits are now going to be billeted and left outside undercover.

And for added security I have employed I have some mean security guards. They don't take no messing around and will eat anything that is on the yard :biggrin: Hope you enjoy the pictures.

597667382578f_P1030153(800x600).jpg.2ec994a49b000bf731b1725dedd4ac9a.jpg

5976673822964_P1030168(800x600).jpg.100d53981770f199f4cbe68a37d0d61b.jpg

59766738207a5_P1030187(800x600).jpg.cfc9a99dc8cb0a87eb9628f027cc2ac4.jpg

Billets - well done that man! Next year you'll wonder how much better they'll look with layers stacked at 90 degrees to each other for improved ventilation.:blushing:

Ill give that a go on my next stack. Roughly how quick will it season doing it that way? All the wood will be for next years sales so hopefully it will all be sub 20%mc.

Ill give that a go on my next stack. Roughly how quick will it season doing it that way? All the wood will be for next years sales so hopefully it will all be sub 20%mc.

Even thou I am logs not billets fan I have done some stacked in alternate directions and they are dry in less than six months.

good to see the photos of geese have to get some of my killer ones carlsberg and stella are two of them but do they nip i get them to do it more when i have my chainsaw trousers on as do not feel them nipping but getting wise starting to go for back of legs. but makes any one wary of coming in as they do draw blood and make a racket thats the best bit know someones around:thumbup::thumbup:

good to see the photos of geese have to get some of my killer ones carlsberg and stella are two of them but do they nip i get them to do it more when i have my chainsaw trousers on as do not feel them nipping but getting wise starting to go for back of legs. but makes any one wary of coming in as they do draw blood and make a racket thats the best bit know someones around:thumbup::thumbup:

Yer its great having them on the yard, not only does it stop people coming up on the yard but if anyone is close to fencing they will swamp them and make one hell of a racket. But they have got to be one of the most clumsy animals ever, they fall over there own feet :001_huh: