Log sales

Antz

It's a long story but it's a Koetter Dry Kiln heat-vent..a company bought out by Nova dry kiln.

It was a toss up between Kiln drying and buying about 150ish cube from a competitor.

I can spend a bit on drying as the wood is all arb/forestry waste which I charge disposal on.

The kiln takes about 2 1/2 cube of part seasoned wood and dries it in about a day - a day and a half at 60oC

Bit of extra work and really a bit of a punt but I've modded it to heat up as quick as possible and slowed the high speed circulation fans down a bit on start up via a speed controller.

If it keeps me selling wood and keeping my customers happy until Mother Nature finishes air drying the rest of my supply I'll be happy..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a long story but it's a Koetter Dry Kiln heat-vent..a company bought out by Nova dry kiln.

It was a toss up between Kiln drying and buying about 150ish cube from a competitor.

I can spend a bit on drying as the wood is all arb/forestry waste which I charge disposal on.

The kiln takes about 2 1/2 cube of part seasoned wood and dries it in about a day - a day and a half at 60oC

Bit of extra work and really a bit of a punt but I've modded it to heat up as quick as possible and slowed the high speed circulation fans down a bit on start up via a speed controller.

If it keeps me selling wood and keeping my customers happy until Mother Nature finishes air drying the rest of my supply I'll be happy..

do you have any pics, What does it cost to run for 24 hrs we have pallets of kindling to kiln.

You can dry logs in a day and half?

Always thought it took weeks. Mmmmm mite look at building one myself if that's right.

do you have any pics, What does it cost to run for 24 hrs we have pallets of kindling to kiln.

I will take a few tomorrow.. It's awkward to do anything else bar hand ball the logs in a stacked neatly...

A very rough estimate it could cost up to £15-20 per day in electric or around a £10 a day on red diesel genny..but you have to put up with the noise.

I'm very much still in the testing/streamlining period.

Anything else bar super fast heat and regular venting would have been useless to me as I need around 10 cube a week and demand growing daily...

So if I retain that business level until next year when I've built a few solar kilns and air dried a lot more!!

I am well aware of the fact that air is free and speed drying costs but didn't want to let my customers down so rolled those dice ;)

Seeing its construction it would be simple enough to make a slightly bigger one for pallets and your kindling.

I went for 'plug and play' as I'm new to kiln drying.. But knowing what I know now you could built a very close copy for peanuts...

I price the original cost of the Koetter 'flat pack kiln' the smallest one being £5000 and the largest one in the range was £10000...

My one is in the middle somewhere..

Initial test where on 30% (as I said part seasoned) stuff now I'm seeing how it goes with really green timber..

I also have half an eye on producing some fancy mantles from large yew and cherry tree which have to come down this winter....

You can dry logs in a day and half?

Always thought it took weeks. Mmmmm mite look at building one myself if that's right.

Hi,

It's heavily dependent on what your trying to achieve..

20 cube in one go is going to take a lot longer than 2 cube part seasoned!

I have around 60 tons processed, just part seasoned and not really salable unless I finish them off! I can't see it being viable long term as you can't get cheaper than free air! But I'll try and make it as efficient possible just now..

As I said previously I charge for disposal so I've made a bit on the wood already so a bit on electric doesn't fluster me too much. If my margins where tighter I'd keep it all until later on next year..

I've opted for a smaller system that's a faster turn around and as high a heat as I dare..

Chaps that already have kilns on the go would give you better advice than me as I've had mine three weeks! But 'touch wood' it all seams to be going fine at the moment..