conversation with a logs customer

John Shutler

them> where do you get your logs

me> well actually im a tree surgeon

them> oh really, ive got .......................tree surgeons coming in to crown my 2 oak trees

me> crown?:confused:

them>yes like my neighbours had done,come and have a look

me>ohh:bawling:

them>doesnt it look neat and tidy (this is the point where i should really have a picture, and i shall be going back tomorrow to try and get one.but picture this, the end of every branch has been headed off,so that it is a nice round shape,this is no sypathetic reduction.i would be very surprised if any natural prunning point had been used.in short written a death warrent for the tree

me>well its not what i would have done

them> what would you have done

And so it continued.the problem is that even after explaining proper reduction methods etc the guy still thought that it looked neat and tidy.i had to be very carefull as i know lads from the firm in question and dont particulary want the flak that could be assosiated with this situation.

How do you educate people ie customers about the right and wrong ways of doing tree work when they clearly dont want to be?.

How or why does the local tree dept allow this to happen, i intend to speak to one off the local tree officers tommorow and find out his views on the matter

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up on trying my hardest to educate the ignorant years ago, these days I explain what the best thing to do with there trees is, If they still look all vague and not convinced I tell them, if you want me to top em i'll do it its up to you, at the same time I give them a silly price!

I read about a bloke who tried to educate the divs for years, near on 50 years, his name was Alex Shigo, hes in his box and trees are still being topped all over the world daily, we will never change human nature!

Dome'ing, shape'ing, sculpting, high pollard, bog brushing or just plain and simple lopping and topping.

Saw a another outfit the other day in a nice red truck with the name Tree Care, thought to myself nice name simple and to the point, then I read what was written underneath.

Professional topping and lopping of trees, not just any old topping and lopping mind, but "professional" lopping and topping.

But then an old boss said to me once, "it does'nt matter how **** the work you do is as long as you leave the site tidy" Needless to say I decided not to work for them anymore. I'd rather leave the site a mess than do a **** job, a site can always be cleaned a poorly reduced tree is had it.

I gave up on trying my hardest to educate the ignorant years ago, these days I explain what the best thing to do with there trees is, If they still look all vague and not convinced I tell them, if you want me to top em i'll do it its up to you!

I agree with that to some extent, its their tree after all, but you still got to try your hardest to convince them and give them the pro's and cons to good reductions - bad reductions.

I've on occasion been asked to top, but I will not do it, being a subbie I have that luxury, I will talk to the client, find what they want and adjust the specs in a way that i'm happy and the clients happy so that the invoice is paid. So far i've been lucky.

I gave up on trying my hardest to educate the ignorant years ago, these days I explain what the best thing to do with there trees is, If they still look all vague and not convinced I tell them, if you want me to top em i'll do it its up to you!

I do the same,tell them it may die,will rot and shoot like mad,with weak attachment and will have to be cut again in 2 to 5 years or will become dangerous,if they still want it mutilating i will do it,it their tree.:scared:

the other problem i see is that if the customer either continues to have the work done but mentions to said firm oh john shutler says that that is a shocking standard of tree work or says i decided that i dont want the work done because ive been told thats not how it should be done its me thats in the ****. especially when i see the lads from that firm in my local where they all drink

After many years doing utility work. We always tried to balance what was best for the tree and what they owner wanted. The tree supremo from the distrib co said our work was not good for the trees and that we should educate the landowner what was best for the trees and impress Mr Shigos codit on them - he wasn't impressed when I replied that many landowners would not accept his 3m clearance and would tell him to put his overheads somewhere else and educate him with a pitchfork in a dark oriface!!! Balance is the key - if they are happy, run with it and take the loot! You are dealing with their property and the customer is always right.

i always quote for doing a proper job and quote for example

prune £100

Fell £100

lop or top £200

or just walk away

seems to work

A guy I used to work for had magnetic signs for when all the customer wanted was a top job.

I personally like to weigh up the tree, usually a topping is just the first part of an eventual take down. If it was a decent specimen i'm not sure what i'd do.