tracked post knockers vs tractor.

Matthew Storrs

I'm fitting mounts for my tracked dumper to take the tractor mounted drive. It will weigh in at approx 2.3t. Best of both worlds then, but still nowhere near as quick as the dedicated conversions. The idea is to have a post driving unit that can be easily transported and take on some wetter/steeper ground with ease, but as my machine is mechanical it will still require two people.

I've used a proper conversion and it's awesome. They are still nowhere near as good as a digger mounted thumper on a reasonably steep slope/uneven ground however. Particularly with rubber tracks, they have a tendancy to rock and move about with each blow, even with the jackleg down.

Ah, I'm glad you've made an appearance doobin, I know you've talked about tracked knockers in the past. Your last sentance was something that worried me, a tractors wheel can adjust to undulating ground but like you say with the tracked machine I can just see it rocking. All the videos I ever see of them are in ideal parkland/agricultural land and this is about as far from my conditions as possible.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I'm glad you've made an appearance doobin, I know you've talked about tracked knockers in the past. Your last sentance was something that worried me, a tractors wheel can adjust to undulating ground but like you say with the tracked machine I can just see it rocking. All the videos I ever see of them are in ideal parkland/agricultural land and this is about as far from my conditions as possible.

I'm doing it purely for ease of transport/leaving the tractor free. This post knocker will also be set to fit my colleagues big loader, for reach. I may even put some brackets on it to fit a hired in 7.5t, if there's any room on it left to weld to! It's only a cheap ProTech but I will be making up a spikey bash plate for the mast, that's what it needs. Post cages are bloody useless.

We had the machine trying to slide down what to be fair was a slippery but not that steep slope. Rubber tracks have only half the holding capacity of metal tracks on difficult ground.

I think rocking will be an issue with tracks, although I expect it would be slightly less of a problem with bigger machines?

Our boxer (small but tracked) suffers with the wobbles if the ground is undulating. Slopes etc not to much of a problem but it doesn't like sharp angles.

With regards to the spike- we had them on our Protech and ground them off- on post and rail people weren't liking the 3-prong holes in the top of the post. Also if you did have to lift off and re-address the post you ended up with 6 holes or worst still the top of the post splitting out.

I keep hankering after a dedicated tracked conversion as I keep convincing myself I can cut down from a two-man job to a one man.....but will it?

I think rocking will be an issue with tracks, although I expect it would be slightly less of a problem with bigger machines?

Our boxer (small but tracked) suffers with the wobbles if the ground is undulating. Slopes etc not to much of a problem but it doesn't like sharp angles.

With regards to the spike- we had them on our Protech and ground them off- on post and rail people weren't liking the 3-prong holes in the top of the post. Also if you did have to lift off and re-address the post you ended up with 6 holes or worst still the top of the post splitting out.

I keep hankering after a dedicated tracked conversion as I keep convincing myself I can cut down from a two-man job to a one man.....but will it?

On my Wrag post driver it has one spike - abit bigger then the protech spikes. It does leave a hole in the top but I noticed that after a month or two the holes close back up with the expansion of the weather-hardly noticeable. I could not get thinks looking neat without some sort of spiked postcap-too many rocks to send it off course otherwise.

On my digger one I have a cup which goes over the top of the post which is best really, it leaves no mark on the posts and you are able to pull the post in line perfectly. My setting the guide line up high 2ft or so above ground you can sit in the cab and pull the post up against the line and then you know its going in straight. Me and a labourer knocked in 600meters worth of stakes in a morning, me in the digger and he was going ahead stabbing the posts in the ground at the right intervals so I could just drop the knocker over and bang them in - I was keeping up with him .

Brother in law had a 3CX years ago and that would just push a 4x4 post into the floor without any knocking using the back actor with a bucket on. He is a very good operator though been doing it for 40+ years and knows a few tricks. The one on the digger looks like a pecker with a post knocker welded on instead of the bit, cut the end off a fire extinguisher and you're half way there.

[[/b]

I never find an extra person particularly helpful, or at least not as much as their wages may dictate!

I get into a "zone" when I'm working alone and as long as I have decent machinery there isn't much I need another person for. Apart from driving a tractor and stapling that is, if I encounter difficulties ie ground conditions I'm not paying some one else to stand around humming and arring.

[[/b]

[/b]

I never find an extra person particularly helpful, or at least not as much as their wages may dictate!

I get into a "zone" when I'm working alone and as long as I have decent machinery there isn't much I need another person for. Apart from driving a tractor and stapling that is, if I encounter difficulties ie ground conditions I'm not paying some one else to stand around humming and arring.

I think it depends what type of work your doing; stock fencing one man job not too much hassle. Post and rail or horse netting with top rail then, for me, and extra pair of hands is essential.

Brother in law had a 3CX years ago and that would just push a 4x4 post into the floor without any knocking using the back actor with a bucket on. He is a very good operator though been doing it for 40+ years and knows a few tricks. The one on the digger looks like a pecker with a post knocker welded on instead of the bit, cut the end off a fire extinguisher and you're half way there.

There's no weld that could cope with those sort of forces. They are made up as a taper fit between cup and shaft. And very expensive- the actual cup is machined from a single billet of steel. About £500.

A fire extinguisher would last about five minutes in that role! :lol:

Edited by doobin