Newbie considering going into the log trade!

tomg

Hello!

From what I have researched so far, this forum is meant to be the best place for advice!

We are farmers near York and recently due to a change in farming practice we have a shed stood empty and considering ideas of how to use it.

We are considering the viability of going into the log trade but after reading many of your posts I'm a bit confused as to whether it would be a good venture. It would be by no means our main source of income, its just something to help bring in some extra cash over the winter months.

We only have a small farm so no woods for us to go and raid, all the wood would have to be bought in.

We have a few tractors and a couple of loaders free for the job we also already have a land rover and trailer, just short of a good saw and a spliter!

We probably have enough room to store a few artic loads of wood under cover.

Processed hardwood locally sells for £60-£80/m3

So is it worth a go in your opinion?

Thank you in advance for any advice given.

Tom

p.s if you have any ideas where I can buy some hardwood from locally (Yorkshire) that would be appreciated!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you would need to sell for 80.00 plus for it to be worth it no lower or it would be counter productive

Agreed with this post need to be nearer the £90/m3 mark really.

Plus she'd needs to be very well ventilated to season wood otherwise it will go mouldy very fast. We season in crates outside during the summer then store in a partially sealed shed during winter still with plenty of air flow.

A sealed grain store wouldn't really be any good assuming that is what your using.

Agreed with this post need to be nearer the £90/m3 mark really.

Plus she'd needs to be very well ventilated to season wood otherwise it will go mouldy very fast. We season in crates outside during the summer then store in a partially sealed shed during winter still with plenty of air flow.

A sealed grain store wouldn't really be any good assuming that is what your using.

unless the fan still works:biggrin:

Thanks for your advice! Think I would struggle to sell logs at that price given the prices of the competition!!

Its a shed we used to keep pigs in, Yorkshire boarded all round so good ventilation but maybe not enough air flow lower down where the logs would be. Could store it outside in summer but was hoping to keep the handling down to a minimum!

Tom

I would say don't waste your time.

A lot of people look at logs and think that its an easy way of making money but don't add up all the costing.

If you have access to wood then all is good but wagon loads are scarse, the price is doing nothing but going up and log suppliers are not increasing their prices to match this increase.

Apart from the above it'll keep you busy and definitely warm you twice:confused1:

Hi all first post I'm new on here how do I post questions onto today's posts.

Many thanks

Click on forum instead of todays posts pal.

Select the correct forum. General chat. Firewood etc

Then on the left at the top is a button. New topic

Have fun. Welcome :)