Newbie considering going into the log trade!

tomg

If you have a spare shed, a spare tractor, some spare time and can use the wood in your own home fires you'd have little to lose.

Dependent on what area you are in you may be eligible for a diversification grant of up to 50% of a processor cost. So it could be a quids in at the start venture.

I'd consider buying in three loads of firewood that'd mean an outlay of around £12,000 including the processor cost. From this you could process around 130m3 of wood that'd recoup your outlay and cover fuel. It'd then be a case of seeing how long it'd take to move it at £90/m3 and then you could decide if it is a worthwhile venture.

Only grants around us available at the moment is for companies less than 3 years old with additional employment strings attached and maximum 25 percent grant refunded after you have paid for the equipment.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have the gear and a shed see if you can get timber. how much then work out how long it will take to do a artic load you can hire processors so makes it quicker. and if around you its selling for 6o to 70 a cube then see if you can do it for that and make a profit from it.

had someone asking for a load of logs quoted £60 for pickup said she had been offered a load for £50 said then get it but my wood is dry and under cover. and i think £60 ia cheap but thats seems to be norm £60 to £70 a pick up laod so never get £90 a load

£40 a cube for poplar and alder. Punters want cheap and give them cheap. Other log bods hate my guts :sneaky2:

I take it you pay tax and for fuel vehicle insurance your time at £40a cube even if you were been payed to take the wood away you are not making any money. Other log sellers are trying to make money so they can reinvest some to grow year on year.

We have all the people that sell for peanuts around us I am expensive but still sell out year on year.

Of course, I get my raw materials for next to nothing so my prices reflect this.

HMRC will be focusing in our game. I even have a credit card machine !

Would you mind running through your profit margin as the way I worked it if you are paying for wood you are loosing money. Not been funny just interested. pm me if you want

i cant even get poplar delivered in for less than 45 a cube

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

I know and alder is high grade firewood commanding £48 t around us . If I were to buy it standing I would be paying £8 t by the time it's got back to ours it going to of cost at least £32t