Build it in Great Britain!

TimberCutterDartmoor

I have nothing against the Chinese they have a huge manufacturing capacity if only they would stick to making those umbrella things you put in your drinks the world would be a better place and we would not have to suffer tools made from cast lead.

I remember years ago blokes I worked with always refered to that type of metal as 'monkey muck':001_smile:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We typically generalise too much on threads like this.

I also have an intense dislike of a lot of the kit coming out of China. They can, and do produce utter rubbish, but it is not all their fault. It is the fault of the Western buyers who only want to buy the cheapest stuff to sell to their fellow countrymen. The chinese merely supply what they have been asked for.

If the buyer specifies a higher quality (and pays a higher price) he will get a much better product (Mitox for instance)

If Western companies set up their own facilities in China, with their own management and quality control, they can produce equipment just as good as other countries, but at less cost.

Most of us (including myself) do not appreciate the scale and diversity in China.

Because we're essentially a nation of greedy money grabbing cheap skates. We want as much as possible for ourselves, yet give as little of it as possible to anyone else.

We want to earn £20 an hour yet want everyone who provides us with a service or product to earn £1 an hour. We want to go out and earn as much as possible for ourselves but expect someone else to look after our increasingly horrendous ill-mannered children for as little as possible.

Shale gas will come as will nuclear power because we won't care about further rape and potential destruction of our environment if it gives us another few quid of disposable income in the week to then blow on crappy imported goods which we don't even need and will tip our balance of trade even further in to the red.

Did Primark suffer the predicted massive consumer back lash once we found out the appalling working conditions, even resulting in huge loss of life, that was behind their cheap clothing? Did they bollocks, they recently posted results showing one of the largest increases in sales of any company in the UK.

We allowed (almost) all our building societies to convert to banks between twenty and thirty years ago by allowing ourselves to be bought out with a few quid of a "share dividend", that's when the first seeds of the financial crisis were really sown.

All this stuff going on and we're not even learning from it. You'd think what's happening at Fukushima would be enough to demonstrate to any sane even vaguely intelligent person that ALL nuclear facilities anywhere in the world need to be shut as soon as possible, but no we're going to build more because we think it'll save us some money!!!!

We all like to pay lip service to caring about our children, and their children, yet our actions demonstrate that we actually don't give a toss!

Great post!

Daniel.

I also have an intense dislike of a lot of the kit coming out of China. They can, and do produce utter rubbish, but it is not all their fault. It is the fault of the Western buyers who only want to buy the cheapest stuff to sell to their fellow countrymen. The chinese merely supply what they have been asked for.

If the buyer specifies a higher quality (and pays a higher price) he will get a much better product (Mitox for instance)

If Western companies set up their own facilities in China, with their own management and quality control, they can produce equipment just as good as other countries, but at less cost.

Most of us (including myself) do not appreciate the scale and diversity in China.

Well said!!!:thumbup1:

Quote from another forum :thumbup:

You will find the forum open and frank so expect some direct opinions to be expressed. Also the forum is independent so do not expect any subversion or heavy handed moderation. You are free to express your views without censure, within the bounds of common decency.

I hope you enjoy the forum and that we can build something significant together.

Thanks for joining!

hooray for free speech!

and that differs from here how exactly :confused1:

This forum is one of the most well-mannered and generally sensible that I've used over many years. There you are, that's another generalisation but while there will always be exceptions to any statement that can be pointed at I'd trust that most will take it as a point based on the majority.

That's very true, behind every piece of Chinese tat is a western "entrepreneur" busy lining his pockets. But the fact is that the Chinese are still prepared to lower their reputation by producing it and didn't they manage to poison several hundred thousand of their own children with no western involvement?

Also, you can't really count factories owned and run in China, or any other country for that matter, by large established corporations in to the equation. They move in the machinery, materials, management, quality control systems, etc, etc, the factory could be anywhere in the world and it would function in a similar way.

Also, you can't really count factories owned and run in China, or any other country for that matter, by large established corporations in to the equation. They move in the machinery, materials, management, quality control systems, etc, etc, the factory could be anywhere in the world and it would function in a similar way.

This may be so, but production from any such factory will have 'made in PRC' on the box, so will be included, by misinformed, narrow minded people, in the generalisation of 'chinese tat'

This may be so, but production from any such factory will have 'made in PRC' on the box, so will be included, by misinformed, narrow minded people, in the generalisation of 'chinese tat'

What have the chinese factories that are owned and managed by chinese produced that is any good.