screw type log splitters

cd233u

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then he was an idiot! Not a lot anyone can do to stop people like that trying to kill themselves.

On a hycrack if you keep the point of the cone just to the left of the centre of the log and only place your hands at the back and left of the log it WILL NOT bite you, in fact most of the time you end up letting go of the log as soon as the point has taken hold, it then just pulls itself on.

As I say this is on a hycrack, can't speak for other types of cone splitter.

Cone splitters are far to dangerous for today's type of business there is as fast equipment and 10 times safer cone splitters in the mode experienced hands can still nip and bite like any splitter just far less forgiving

Cone splitters are far to dangerous for today's type of business there is as fast equipment and 10 times safer cone splitters in the mode experienced hands can still nip and bite like any splitter just far less forgiving

Would you NOT buy a Ford Mondeo on the recommendation of someone who has never owned one?

I hear Stihl saws are lethal. Mind you, I have only ever owned Huskys. :001_smile:

Had my hycrack HC2 for 10 years. It spun a log onto my hand within the first hour of use and lesson quickly learnt. No problems since and ALWAYS load the log to the right hand side of the cone.

The potential danger is there but only as much as a running saw chain so just treat a cone splitter with respect and you'll be fine.

There is little that is quicker at that price range, in my opinion. I've a self made cone splitter, 20hp v twin powering it, total cost about £1000. Split 2 cubic metres of poplar (cut to 10-12 inches) in 35 minutes the other day by myself. How much money do you have to spend on a hydraulic splitter for that production rate?

There is little that is quicker at that price range, in my opinion. I've a self made cone splitter, 20hp v twin powering it, total cost about £1000. Split 2 cubic metres of poplar (cut to 10-12 inches) in 35 minutes the other day by myself. How much money do you have to spend on a hydraulic splitter for that production rate?

phht thats nothing i just shout at pop and it falls apart lol but seriously you would have to sort out the cream for a cone/screw splitter compared to a hydraulic jobby that will do anything etc i think its have the 2 one for speed and one for the rough stuff

phht thats nothing i just shout at pop and it falls apart lol but seriously you would have to sort out the cream for a cone/screw splitter compared to a hydraulic jobby that will do anything etc i think its have the 2 one for speed and one for the rough stuff

You are right in that respect. It's a lot slower on knotty stuff, but I just avoid that. If I'm splitting round wood I just make sure to not buy tough stuff. Sawmill off cuts are nearly always very easy to split as they are quite thin.