Buy cheap buy twice?

Horatio

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have seen the mitox, do you have experience with one? It was the handy that took me as riko sell them. Must be half decent was my take on it.

I flog the groundys so hard they can barely walk let alone swing an axe. Lol

Have the mrs at home all day so we do go though a fair bit of wood. I know a lot of guys who say its as quick to do it with an axe and yeah it is on the bigger stuff but I have taken a lot of elms down this year and that sh!t is like concrete.

looked at Thor when I got the Balfor. From memory both brands are at the top of the field.

Like the pedal knife positioner thingy.

Trying to make life easier even bought an arbortrolly. GASP.

Handy and Mitox are the same bar the paint job. Woodstar brand at Screwfit is possibly the cheapest way to buy it. See this thread for more:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/61971-kind-rock-7-ton-electric-log-splitter.html

Another thing to bare I mind is the ease of which you can put big stuff through a little vertical like that. I went for the horizontal for that reason... As long as you can lift it on it usually goes through it..

A big vertical with a foot pedal and a custom table would be great though..

On my shopping list for the near future is a Wallenstein 520 then customize a table and make single handed op..

I bought the 7 ton vertical Handy Pro from Riko a few weeks ago and it has been great. I have put approx 10 cube through it so far and it has split everything without a fuss. The 4 way splitter (optional extra) works well on the smaller stuff. The return stroke is quick and it has an adjustable stop. I had a Metabo 5 ton horizontal splitter before this one and I find the vertical quite a lot easier to use and the extra 2 tons force makes quite a difference. I have heard that these have been going for a few years now and the general feedback seems to be pretty +ve. I have run it for several hours non stop and it doesn't get hot and bothered so a thumbs up from me. I decided to pay a bit extra by buying from Riko since I wanted to have a reasonably local service centre just in case. I also managed to get it to run off a 3kw Honda powered Pramac generator so that gives me the option of using it in a woodland as well.

Hi Horatio, I have just found some of the key specs for the 7 ton vertical Handy Pro from the user manual which might be useful for comparisons

Hydraulic pressure: 22 Mpa

Forward speed 3.9cm/sec

Retract speed: 14.5cm/sec

Log capacity diameter 12-32cm (it will do bigger....)

Length: 104/78/52cm (3 position table)

RAM travel: 480mm

Weight: 115kg

My view is that this machine is ideal for lower volume production but if someone wanted to use a log splitter for hours every day, then it would probably be best to buy a more expensive machine which is likely to be faster and last longer.

I bought the 7 ton vertical Handy Pro from Riko a few weeks ago and it has been great. I have put approx 10 cube through it so far and it has split everything without a fuss. The 4 way splitter (optional extra) works well on the smaller stuff. The return stroke is quick and it has an adjustable stop. I had a Metabo 5 ton horizontal splitter before this one and I find the vertical quite a lot easier to use and the extra 2 tons force makes quite a difference. I have heard that these have been going for a few years now and the general feedback seems to be pretty +ve. I have run it for several hours non stop and it doesn't get hot and bothered so a thumbs up from me. I decided to pay a bit extra by buying from Riko since I wanted to have a reasonably local service centre just in case. I also managed to get it to run off a 3kw Honda powered Pramac generator so that gives me the option of using it in a woodland as well.

How well does it run off a generator? What watt is the motor? It's a great idea as you can hide the generator so you are away from the noise!

How well does it run off a generator? What watt is the motor? It's a great idea as you can hide the generator so you are away from the noise!

The vertical one will run off a genny better than the horizontal type because the motor is constantly running. Startup load is what the generator won't be keen on, and this is less of an issue if it's constantly running.

Whether a genny is cost effective compared to a normal hydraulic splitter and a powerpack instead of a genny is debatable.

Most electric splitters these days aren't constantly running as the manufactures now make them so part of the useless 'two handed' operation is the button in the motor that starts it...I have a genny at the house for power cuts and would just run my 3kw splitter...

At least I suppose a genny is more multi-purpose.. Perhaps?

A decent genny (diesel) will set you back about 1000-1500, then cost of the splitter at 400-600...

Hydraulic: 500-700 for splitter and 500+ for a used hydraulic pack.

I've not worked out yet how you perch a 2ft+ round on the tiny table on a vertical? Anyone advise?