Buy cheap buy twice?

Horatio

I've not worked out yet how you perch a 2ft+ round on the tiny table on a vertical? Anyone advise?

I think if you are splitting 2ft plus then most splitter's would struggle, but you can just hold the other edge. I have done a few on mine and its OK, but easier with smaller logs.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I was a bit puzzled as do you not need both hands to operate the machine? Most look like they bear hug the log and make sure you have both hands on the levers before the wedge comes down....

It's the length of the log not diameter that counts... I could see my one struggling to try to get through a knotty 2'x2' but when your trying to process firewood to sell my normal size is 6-10"

Thus a 2' x10" round should be pretty easy work for anything over 4/5tons..

My ones 4 and 8 tons (fast/slow lever) and crunches through knots..

Only thing thats stopped it, is wood which has got a bent grain like bad forks multi stemmed junctions (for the want of a Better word!)

I also process a few bags if 1 1/2 foot logs through the machine..

Can't fault it... I thought the chap was looking for an opinion on cheap do it all splitter... If the cheap vertical is more suited to small stuff and cheap horizontal can do both....

Thanks for your response though I looked for months before I look a punt on the northern tool one...well chuffed..

:)

Hi RDB the motor is 3kw. The startup is the hardest bit, took 3 presses of the go button and then ran fine. I have only split a few logs like this but since the motor runs all the time I think it will be ok (splitting seems to put less load on the generator than starting). I will try again now that the wether is colder since it might be harder to start. I think if you have a 3kw motor hen you need a good 3kw generator and probably a bit bigger generator to be on the safe side. I tried a cheapie 2.2kw generator with my old 2.2kw horizontal log splitter and that couldn't start the log splitter (the 3kw generator would start the 2.2kw log splitter). I will do a few more tests and let you know the results.

Hi RDB the motor is 3kw. The startup is the hardest bit, took 3 presses of the go button and then ran fine. I have only split a few logs like this but since the motor runs all the time I think it will be ok (splitting seems to put less load on the generator than starting). I will try again now that the wether is colder since it might be harder to start. I think if you have a 3kw motor hen you need a good 3kw generator and probably a bit bigger generator to be on the safe side. I tried a cheapie 2.2kw generator with my old 2.2kw horizontal log splitter and that couldn't start the log splitter (the 3kw generator would start the 2.2kw log splitter). I will do a few more tests and let you know the results.

Thanks that's great, I am really keen on buying a tool for a variety of uses, as doobin said I suppose there is the beaver pack route but it is a bit limited for other things other than drilling up the road!

There is usually second hand generators on scum tree and then it can be hidden 10 m away so your away from the noise, I often buy wood on site so cut it all and split on site then transport it as logs:thumbup: cheers

You need 3 x running current min on your generator. So 2.2kw = 6.5 kw or 8kva. Not only do you need this to start it but when you stall on a knot you will send the windings into orbit. You can get away with smaller generators but not without reducing the life of the generator and motor. New generators have less material in them and are not able to take as much abuse as the old stuff.