basic starter saw?

swinny

never tried a sugi bar, but will next time i have one needing replacement. an ms170 bought seconf hand years ago lasted me well, but i have just bought a dolmar 3410(adjustable oiler so the tip can stay very cool.) which is basically a dolmars back handle ms200. light, powerfull, pro saw. just the job so far and a good bit cheaper. but i haven't had it for ages so who knows how it will stand the test of time.

if i were to get robbed (touch wood.) i think i would be seriously lloking at replacing with makita dolmar echo.......shavey on here was on about ps32 dolamr carving saws which come with 1/4 oregon carving bars etc.

people seem to rate echos, never had one yet.

have fun! and def get a dime tip bar rather than one you can run on 3/8 picco. big differenc in terms of getting into tight spots.....

oh i assume you buying new? if not i also used an old stihl 010 av for a good while which was a cracking saw and cost about 65 quid. still got it, still runs, oils loads.

if you can afford it i would suggest buying a pro carving saw, but not totally essential

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. What exactly are the pro carving saws?

typically stihls ms200/201 is popular as its light, powerfull and relatively nails. ms 150 worth a look too.....if your just getting going something like a ps32 or little echo will do you.

if you look at most catalogues/websites they usually make a point of telling you if its a professional saw or homeowner. however a less than 40cc saw which is pro is fairly rare- i don't know if husky do one?

lots of folk won't use pro saws for carving,but if your going to be doing alot i reckon in the long term its a money saver. i reckon you shouldn;t be looking for most power, but wieght is pretty key as i find you hold it at stupid angles all day and it knacks the wrists. if you need to block big bits out then it sounds like your already sorted with a larger saw.

looks good, it all new? let me know how it fairs.

heres by latest 3410

It was newish when the pic was taken! That was about 6 months ago, and it's done some hard work since. As happy with it now as I was then.

It should be remembered that a carving saw runs non-stop all the time you are carving, unlike other disciplines where they live in a stop/ start world. They also have to complete a mixture of ripping (harder on the saw) and crosscutting as well as everything in between.

This little saw does it without flinching and gets put to the test most weekdays :)