New Zigzag, pics and info.

Mark_Skyland

Mine comes on Wednesday :) any1 tried it on the Yale imori rope (as it's what I have)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Used mine for the first time today on imori and it was a little jerky to say the least, this could be due to me knot being used to it but it did seem like as soon as I touché the little lever the top two friction links just dropped and it was then only holding on two, thought the friction would have been a little more spread out but I'm sure I'll get use to it

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been looking at getting the zigzag, but have been wanting to know about whether you need to replace parts after use like on the lock jacks? Im also curious about whether anyone has used the Yale xtc plus 13mm with one as that is what I climb on and how well does it work/tend. Thanks.

I've been looking at getting the zigzag, but have been wanting to know about whether you need to replace parts after use like on the lock jacks? Im also curious about whether anyone has used the Yale xtc plus 13mm with one as that is what I climb on and how well does it work/tend. Thanks.

No effectively once it's worn out you throw it away, maybe Petzl would service them but I doubt it.

It's design means it should last a long time and be comparable to anything else.

As for rope 13mm should work fine, for me the 11.7mm lines worked best like Tachyone or Yale pro (blue moon, limelight etc).

For me I'm waiting for more feedback as the way I climb meant my rope was damaged by the zig zag.

No effectively once it's worn out you throw it away, maybe Petzl would service them but I doubt it.

It's design means it should last a long time and be comparable to anything else.

As for rope 13mm should work fine, for me the 11.7mm lines worked best like Tachyone or Yale pro (blue moon, limelight etc).

For me I'm waiting for more feedback as the way I climb meant my rope was damaged by the zig zag.

Ok, well thanks for the answers Marc! I have a better idea now. I wasn't sure about which one to get out of the zigzag or spider jack.. Have you tried spider jack? I have heard a lot of people swear by them. Why/how was it damaging your rope?

Ok, well thanks for the answers Marc! I have a better idea now. I wasn't sure about which one to get out of the zigzag or spider jack.. Have you tried spider jack? I have heard a lot of people swear by them. Why/how was it damaging your rope?

I have tried a Spiderjack it's a good device also, also not without its problems!! Don't get hung up on all the minor faults and niggles I mention, I just like things to be perfect like my beloved hitch climber.

The ZZ was damaging my rope because the pulley design is not very good at keeping the rope in when the tail of your line is deflected making it run over a sharp edge, the mk2 now has a chamfer to help prevent this.

For me the Zig Zag felt very natural and intuitive to use, where as the Spiderjack has a learning curve to really master, I find the way you control friction on a Spiderjack not particularly comfy though.

They are both good devices with individual pro's and con's, what right for you..... Go with your gut.

Or just get a Hitch Climber:thumbup: the best device out there.

I have both sj and zz and imo they both have different qualities but I think i prefer the sj as I find it self tends a lot better and decents are smoother. It absolutely wins on big planes! If I wasnt tackling a lot of big stuff the zz would be a more practical choice as it has a more natural method of operation and no trouser darkening moments like accidentally knocking the release lever on the sj.

Just wondering what the zz is like in the rain with a wet and dirty rope as most of the north west is like this all year. Does it become hard to move and create a lot of friction and need a lot of cleaning to keep the moving parts from sticking?