Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

I keep looking at this thread then browsing ebay/ plant trader thinking of ways to justify a small digger.

trying to educate myself - to run a grab and rotator I assume two auxiliary circuits are required...

I notice that there are often a blanked hyd pipe running down each side of the digger arm/boom - is this usually a supply and a return pipe (so one aux circuit) for something like a pecker/breaker?

this could operate a grab - so another would be needed for the rotator?

thanks

I keep looking at this thread then browsing ebay/ plant trader thinking of ways to justify a small digger.

trying to educate myself - to run a grab and rotator I assume two auxiliary circuits are required...

I notice that there are often a blanked hyd pipe running down each side of the digger arm/boom - is this usually a supply and a return pipe (so one aux circuit) for something like a pecker/breaker?

this could operate a grab - so another would be needed for the rotator?

thanks

If its double acting yes it could control the grab or rotate and if a timber grab that swings the other function could be controlled from tee ing into the bucket ram

Alternatively an electronic diverter valve couldbe mounted on the boom thats operated by a button on the joystick this would mean when the button is pressed moving the joystick would operate an auxiliary circuit this is how the auxiliary works on a loader tractor

However one last trick I've never seen is a straightforward potentiometer switch that you can simply dial in the hydraulic speed you want on the circuit!

Eddie - this is basically a convenient switch to torque up or lower the flow rate to a piece of kit - yes? :thumbup1: If so what was the old skool alternative for regulating flow on machines.

However one last trick I've never seen is a straightforward potentiometer switch that you can simply dial in the hydraulic speed you want on the circuit!

Eddie - this is basically a convenient switch to torque up or lower the flow rate to a piece of kit - yes? :thumbup1: If so what was the old skool alternative for regulating flow on machines.

I'd give them a bit more credit than that, as in all honesty you don't get this sort of control on some hugely expensive bits of kit.

The normal way is simply to introduce some flow reducing valves in each line, be it actually on the machine or some simply mount them at the end of the pipes next to the quick realise fitting.

Cheap enough and you're able to get great control from them by reducing the flow to what is comfortable level and then locking them with a grub screw.

Choose your size from the menu.

Hydraulic flow regulator valve with check VRFU, 1/4" BSP | Flow Control & Flow Divider Valves | Hydraulic Valves

When you fit them just remember they control the flow one way and allow free flow back so get them the right way round, easy to check real world by screwing the valve down and just blowing through them if the diagram on the side is confusing.

Eddie.

Thanks Eddie, No experience of such things, but interesting to me none the less.

I am imagining a scenario of say a rotator and rock breaker attachment using the same pipe network. Is this where the regulator comes into play? And by having a dial in your cab, eliminates the need to physically fit and then adjust flow rates manually as per attachment. Thanks again.

Sorry I thought you could change the size simply on the drop down menu, you need this page first to choose the actual size 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" etc and then choose the flow required after.

Hydraulic Flow Control and Flow Divider Valves | Flowfit

Eddie.

Hi Eddie any suggestions on where could buy an electronic diverter value (not sure this is the right name) so that I can switch between thumb and tilt bucket without having to leave the cab and manually turn taps on the boom ?

Yes it's just a 12volt 6 way solenoid valve, and choose the bore of the ports you require.

I have put a few links up to Flowfit now, as they really have a great range and fantastic catalogue well worth getting hold of, but most decent hydraulic places will have these on the shelf or in next day.

Diverter Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Flowfit

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie