The redirect thread.

There is a thread on Base Ties, threads on gear and threads on techniques so I thought this might be a good idea so that new comers don't have to trawl lots of threads for the info.

I've always thought that a redirect should be used to support myself on the edge of the canopy.

However, following some posts from Kevin Bingham on another thread where he challenged my ideas, I've started using multiple natural crotch redirects across the top of the tree.

Kevin mentioned that by doing this, the climbers weight is spread across the top of the tree therefore it's possible to get your rope very high on a very skinny tree.

I tried it on a Willow the other day using several 1" thick stems and it worked a treat. Seems to work best off a base tie.

I know lots of you guys have photos of what you use that could be posted here.

Thanks.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just discovered that I must have deleted all my redirect photos.

I have always used a Lyon strop and biner although recently I've been tying my rope round the branch with a clove hitch and I love the simplicity.

Can't remember who put the photo up on another thread but well done.

Great if you could post it here for others to see.

There is a thread on Base Ties, threads on gear and threads on techniques so I thought this might be a good idea so that new comers don't have to trawl lots of threads for the info.

I've always thought that a redirect should be used to support myself on the edge of the canopy.

However, following some posts from Kevin Bingham on another thread where he challenged my ideas, I've started using multiple natural crotch redirects across the top of the tree.

Kevin mentioned that by doing this, the climbers weight is spread across the top of the tree therefore it's possible to get your rope very high on a very skinny tree.

I tried it on a Willow the other day using several 1" thick stems and it worked a treat. Seems to work best off a base tie.

I know lots of you guys have photos of what you use that could be posted here.

Thanks.

I think it has to do with how load is applied, like Kevin I've always thought a base tie can be better than a tip tie as even though loads are potential increased we are loading via compression rather than lever which can be more favourable.

Being adaptable is key, looking at the canopy, tree species and task ahead and using the best technique, maybe you want a natural redirect through a fork, or make a static redirect.

Working with Marcus I always like his strategies, sometimes he will tip tie, sometimes base, sometimes use double rope, use Spiderjack or hitchclimber. Basically try not to adapt one method one technique for everything be creative and use the right tool for the task at hand.

Living and working on the Island that is the UK we are lucky that our tree are generally short and stout.

I have a retrievable re direct and occasionally use it.

Had a wee SRT workshop with Scott Forrest a few weeks back and was asking him about redirects.

He generally just uses natural redirects or just runs out to the tips given a good anchor point

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have a retrievable re direct and occasionally use it.

Had a wee SRT workshop with Scott Forrest a few weeks back and was asking him about redirects.

He generally just uses natural redirects or just runs out to the tips given a good anchor point

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Have you got any photos Ross.