2 stroke oil to fuel ratio

chrismechanic

Gardenkit, you got any pics of coke-seizes? I know I worked on a stihl blower and it had a coked exhaust, so much so, that there was only 2mm open

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

No Eddy, i have not thought to take photos, but I see very many machines with almost totally closed exhaust ports. Most, if not all, will be accompanied by oily exhausts and very dirty (oily) engines. This is typical of "oil of excess quantity, or insufficient quality".

I rarely see it on machines where the owners use the quality 2t oil I sell, and have never yet seen any sign at all of coking on engines using Aspen2t.

Next time I have a 'coked' exhaust port I will photograph and post up on my Aspen thread.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As above , simple stihl shot

50/1 (1/50)

5L of petrol to 100ml (one shot) of two stroke

Give it a good shake

Bobs your uncle fannys your aunt , perfect two stroke mix everytime :)

I get 10 shots for around £15inc vat , do the math works out £1.50 each works out more expensive per ml than buying it in say 1L measurements , but it saves having to measure it out everytime

I was raised in the 25:1 era but I've altered my view as the oil companies have improved their products.

Also bear in mind that a chainsaw engine is a pretty tame two stroke engine by overall standards, they're not going to be that difficult to lubricate properly really.

They've had synthetic fuels available since the early 1980's. Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil came out in 1974. The 50:1 is not a black and white quality oil thing, it is also an EPA thing. If it works, it works. If it burns cleaner, it burns cleaner. But, lets not paint it in a different light. It was pushed as much by environmental factors as any oil quality factors.

They've had synthetic fuels available since the early 1980's. Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil came out in 1974. The 50:1 is not a black and white quality oil thing, it is also an EPA thing. If it works, it works. If it burns cleaner, it burns cleaner. But, lets not paint it in a different light. It was pushed as much by environmental factors as any oil quality factors.

And should we not help try and reduce environmental damage? After all, were already destroying a tree with said tool

And should we not help try and reduce environmental damage? After all, were already destroying a tree with said tool

Eddy I dont think you can hold the environmental high ground with the use of 100/200cc shot of 2t depending on what you are using, this pale`s into insignificance when you think of the gallons of associated fuel used in the chipping and transportation of timber off site.

Bob

Eddy I dont think you can hold the environmental high ground with the use of 100/200cc shot of 2t depending on what you are using, this pale`s into insignificance when you think of the gallons of associated fuel used in the chipping and transportation of timber off site.

Bob

True, but I use aspen anyway, it comes 50:1 in the bottle and my saws are tuned accordingly, even the 090 runs on it, and they were a lovely 16:1 when they first hit the shelves, so putting extra oil in the mix just seems a waste, and I swear some do it for the sheer hell of it, especially with some of the ratios out there!

Bel Ray was the first that made a serious impact in competition motorcycles. I was running Castrol GP at the time as it was supposed to be as good as "R" but without sticking throttle slides in the wet. Both "R" and "GP" were like treacle and you were using it at 25 or even 20 parts to one, then along came this stuff which was as thin as motor oil and yet you were supposed to use half the amount of it. The people who used it were looked on as being either crazy or stupid but that was a sign of what was to come.

No, it's not a black and white thing, we have a race kart with a 100cc IAME direct drive engine in it, it revs to 20,000 on a regular basis and we've seen it peaked over 22 on the rev counter. We don't run full synthetic in it, we run Castol A747 in it at 30:1, but the relevance of that to any chainsaw usage is zero and leaving those extremes aside, if you can protect your engine as well with half the volume of oil (which you will with synthetics) then it's a total no-brainer for many reasons, environment included.

Stihl "shots" 100ml are a no brainer for me.

Old saws I stick to 25:1 = 2 shots in 5l fuel

New saws 50:1 = 1 shot in 5l of fuel

Simples.

Cost a bit more but failsafe for mixing.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Why 25:1 in old saws ? If it said 25:1 when they made it it was because the oil was of a lesser quality back then but now it would benefit from 50:1 mix just like your newer saws . Why punish it coz its old ! ? :001_smile:

Why 25:1 in old saws ? If it said 25:1 when they made it it was because the oil was of a lesser quality back then but now it would benefit from 50:1 mix just like your newer saws . Why punish it coz its old ! ? :001_smile:

Oldest saw is the 009 and it has original piston and rings.... used every year since 1983. Book says 25:1 and its going good.

Aint broke so dont fix it. Still burning same volume of fuel per cycle.

tuning also comes into play, if you run lean richen it up at carb and vice versa.

Each to their own. Works for us.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk